Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Rheem air conditioner at my home. It would not turn

Customer Question

I have a Rheem air conditioner at my home. It would not turn on today. i opened the unit and I see a solonoid that I can manully push the contacts down. When I push it down he airconidtioner runs. When I let go it turns off. Any ideas how to fix this? we have replaced the both capacitors in the outside unit and the dual contact unit. we are getting power to it but its not activating, like I say if I push in the dual contacts it works beautifully
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: yes replaced the filter in the inside unit and thermostat settings are good
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: we have a natural gas furnace if that helps, no visual damage to wires..
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, its not a capacitor problem if the unit runs when you push the solenoid (contactor) in manually... the problem is in the 24volt control circuit.

If you choose to 'finish and rate' this answer positively, I will hold the question open for an extended coaching session, up to 2 hours...so that you will be able diagnose and possibly repair the problem yourself. lacking such a rating I can waste hours of my coaching time at my own very considerable expense...I hope you understand.