Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I opened up the outside condensor XC14 model to clean the

Customer Question

I opened up the outside condensor XC14 model to clean the coils, now it's not powering up. Is there a reset somewhere or something simple that I'm missing. I tried to reset the breaker already.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, was it running OK before you decided to clean the coils, or were you trying to solve a 'not running' problem by cleaning the coils.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was running fine just longer than usual and not cooling as well. The coils were filthy so I'm hoping that was that issue
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Cleaning the coils was a very good idea, you may have tripped over the small thermostat wire that sends 24volt power to the controls inside the unit... inspect for that.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

it could have pulled loose from its terminals inside, or shorted against the sharp sheet metal edge of the opening it passes through getting inside the unit.... that fuse is on the printed circuit board that is mounted on the main blower, in the unit that is inside your house.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

You will have to remove some service panels to inspect for that.

If its not a damaged 24v circuit then you will need a multi meter to do some trouble shooting with. In that case tell me a lot about hour technical skill sets so that I can coach you most efficiently.

Once we have the problem solved please locate the 'finish and rate your expert' link and click on it, that is how I earn a living, lacking that I work at my own considerable expense. Rating will not increase your charges.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's what I have at the unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No small wire outside of the casing to be tripped over and I don't see any that aren't sheathed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like it's not the quick fix I was hoping for. I'll have to call in a service request. Thanks for the info.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, thanks for the pictures. It looks like the thermostat wires are intact, it might be an easy fix I suspect it is. but you will need a multi meter and some technical skills to handle it... we would check the power to the unit, it is possible that you put the disconnect block in backwards if that is the type of disconnect you have.

If you would like to rate my assistance I will appreciate it, locate the 'finish and rate your expert' link and click on it, lacking that I work at my own expense, rating will not increase your charges but is how I earn a living. Thanks!