BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

The Rinnai Convector 400 lightes up, the fan engages then

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, the Rinnai Convector 400 lightes up, the fan engages then about 3 to 4 seconds the gas extinguishes then the warning buzzer comes on to let you know that the heater has cut out. Any sugesstions? Thanks, John.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I just picked the heater second hand this morning. The seller had moved house- no natural gas - but he assured me that it was working fine before he moved.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The heater blows hot air untill it cuts out.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: There is a fine wire mesh filter at the back- all clear, and I have tried the range of thermostat setting but it keeps going ouy. Should it have a secoudary filter?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.

I just logged on and found you had not been assisted.

Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet.

If you would like to proceed let me know by replying

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, any solution?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Was the unit sitting dormant for a while?

Are you using it on natural gas also?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Yes and yes.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

but it always fails after blower starts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After about 3 seconds.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

usually faults related to when blower start (after) are heat exchanger related...

A good test would be to disable blower...see if it runs..then start blower and see if it kicks off

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually the blower kicks in after the heater powers on, but then after 3-4 seconds the gas supply cuts out accompanied by a " clank" noise.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

can you get to the ignition points and clean with steel wool? especially the flame sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is heat exchanger related, what would be the fix?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

depends if it is gasket or crack....but I am hoping you just have a dirty flame sensor...a dirty sensor only allows 3 seconds of gas/flame...then shuts down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can open the heater and clean the points and sensor, one of the local gas blokes said that it is most likely the gas control valve and they are no longer available for this heater.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

I would agree if it were more erratic...but with the set timing it appears sensor related

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks mate, I'll give it a go and see what happens, it was a very regular shut down, I tried to get I going over a bout an hour, thinking that it had not been used for a while but each time it ran for 3/4 seconds then shut down. I'll let you know the outcome.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

yep...3-4 seconds has to do with the flame safety.

Just rate service to move off active list and then you have 30 days of follow up.

Thanks for your patience,

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The flame sensor was dirty, I cleaned it with steel wool but it didn't make any difference.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

can you tell me what the gas pressure is that you have entering?