Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

Can you tell me if there is a reset button on my ruud

Customer Question

Hello
Can you tell me if there is a reset button on my ruud 13AJN18A01 unit? It was mfgd in 09/2011.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need. Please be patient as many times we work with several customers at once.

If there is a reset button, it would be a red button located down near the smaller of the two copper lines where it goes into the outside unit. Some had these, some didn't.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand.
Would these 2 copper wires be bare?
Would reset button be on outside unit?
Can you send a diagram?
How do you reset if there is no button?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

If there is no red button, there is no way to reset. You may have a blown fuse or tripped breaker. There are 2 copper lines that come from inside the house and go into the outside unit. Sometimes Rheem/Ruud put a red reset button near the smaller of those two copper lines RIGHT BY WHERE IT ENTERS outside unit. If no button, then your unit will not have one (see above).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There, unfortunately, is no red button on this unit.Now how do I unsubscribe to this service.
I thought I was paying for 1 question, not a monthly service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a tripped breaker.How do I open the outside fuse block, to replace those fuses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume I can shut off breakers on main fuse box in the house,
Open the outside fuse holder cover,
Pull those fuses and take them to a hardware store to find replacements?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

You will have to contact customer service if you are subscribed as a monthly subscriber. I have nothing to do with billing issues.

Your unit should have a electrical disconnect box near outside unit and many times these have fuses in them (sometimes behind a plastic panel).

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, your hardware should have replacements. But they can test them first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim,
This electrical disconnect box.....I see no screws. There is a 1.00 thin metal tab (with a hole in it)sticking out at bottom. Does this cover just lift off? I don't want to force it.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Please upload a picture of it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll try.
After looking online....it looks like an Eaton, and it just rotates open.
When open, there will be on off/on switch.
Could positioning that switch too Off, then back to On possibly reset unit?
Or
Is that Off just for safety in removing fuse.
Also, if I put in Off position to pull fuse, should breaker in house still be shut off?Thanks.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, breaker should be shut off. For that matter turning off the circuit breaker would "reset" the outside unit should it be a fault code on a board or something, but I don't think that's the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
....tripping inhouse breaker did not reset.I got disconnect box open.
I tried to send picture of inside....I don't think it sent.
Anyway, I will pull that fuse tomorrow and see what happens
Thanks for the help.
You can close this conversation.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, it is very common for fuses to blow on the outside unit. This would be a starting point. Let me know if you have additional questions. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any more questions. Remember, you can rate question at any point and still ask more questions (related to the same thing) later on. Experts prefer if you rate question at the end of our first chat.