HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My air handler fan is not working. I can home and the trip

Customer Question
was out, i put it...
My air handler fan is not working. I can home and the trip was out, i put it back in and the compressor started up but the air handler fan did not switch on. I crossed the wires on the fan relay to bypass it and still no joy. The capacitor looks good and has no bulging and the fan moves freely when pushed. I am thinking it may be the thermostat at fault suggestions please
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I already change the filter recently and the coil is not iced up. I also lowered the temp on the thermostat.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Possibly depending how how complicated it gets
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The compressor will run without the fan so I am thinking the unit believes the fan is rotating!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
6/19/2016
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 1 year ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy. Do you mind a test at the thermostat first? We would need to remove the top section where we can see the thermostat wires

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok done

locate R wire and G wire..this is the bypass for blower that takes thermostat out of the equation....short r to g with a U shaped wire....or remove and twist together...tell me if blower starts

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No response when the wires are crossed

thank you.

Now short R to Y and tell me if outdoor unit kicks on

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that works

do you mind some test in the air handler?

and what is make/model

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is a carrier 5 ton unit not sure of the model. I dont mind testing the air handler I already have the front panel off

can you post a pic of the circuit board and close prox around it?

how many wires go to the motor?

Do you know if you have the ecm motor with lots of wires or a standard motor with 4-5?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
model no is fa4bnf060
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is standard 5 wires with additional 2 brown returning to the capacitor

thank you just pulling up schematic....with power on...thermostat set for fan on...any door safety switch taped down...if you hand spin the blower wheel does it try to run...spins and stops or is stiff?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The black and red are terminated and the blue goes to the relay the yellow to another switch (common) and the yellow/green is grounded to the motor fan housing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no motor spins freely but does not run under its own power

do the spin test on wheel...and also if you have a meter put one lead on blue and other lead on yellow...240v present = bad motor

NO 240v present = bad board

We already know we have unit power and transformer as the outdoor unit runs...so it is down to board or motor

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
red end of meter on yellow and black on blue no voltage detected
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
blue to unit getting 25v

you have 2 main power wires coming into the air handler..what do they read?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
red wire 115v black wire also 115v

what is black to red and not to ground...hot to hot

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when i go black to red not getting a reading
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
apologizes had meter wrong voltage setting now getting 232v

thank you..

now getting toward the end.....there is a terminal strip r,g,t,ccc

Short r to g and tell me if any click on board.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
crossed r and g wires on board no click

ok you have a bad board.

R to y activates cool solenoid but r to g does not active fan relay.

You have correct voltage to unit.....it is just the relay is not closing to start motor.

You need to replace the fan board.

Billy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thanks will do first thing tomorrow

just rate service to remove from active list. I am avail for 30 days of followup after rating.

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech