HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a DeLonghi PAC C120E. There is a loud rattle when the

Customer Question
compressor turns on. How can...
I have a DeLonghi PAC C120E. There is a loud rattle when the compressor turns on. How can I fix this?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 4 years, but only in summer
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The A/C unit is working fine other than being very loud.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: The filters have been cleaned and the dehumidifier tank has been drained. Not sure what you mean about the thermostat.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
6/18/2016
HVAC Technician: D.E. Anderson, Industrial Refrigeration Service Manager replied 1 year ago
D.E. Anderson
D.E. Anderson, Industrial Refrigeration Service Manager

Hi, I am not very familiar with your portable AC, and I do not think you will find many technicians whom are, but I can tell you a few things to check to find out what may be rattling. First of all, I would check all the fans/blowers and make sure they are not loosely mounted, warped, or bent in any fashion. I would then go to the compressor compartment and make sure all the bolts or clips on the compressor feet are tight. Also, make sure there is no tubing that has come un-mounted from any clamps or anything that may be vibrating causing rattling. IF you find a copper tube or something of that nature that is causing the rattling, you can usually slide a piece of pipe insulation over it to act as a damper and protect the tubing. Also, start it up with the compressor compartment accessible and see if the noise sounds as if it may be coming from the compressor internally. If it is coming from the compressor internally, then there is some type of internal damage to the compressor and it would have to be replaced. I hope this helps, if you have any further questions or correspondence please feel free to ask. Thanks.

D.E. Anderson
D.E. Anderson