airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Our upstairs unit is on and blowing but the air is not cool.

Customer Question

Our upstairs unit is on and blowing but the air is not cool. I just replaced the thermostat but that has not made a difference.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Is outdoor ac unit coming on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell if the compressor is actually coming on or just the fan in outdoor unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm clueless here so the unit in the attic is coming on...is that the compressor?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

No that is just the blower. The COLD is made by the compressor in the outdoor unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can I tell if the compressor is on?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Go to outdoor unit.Se if fan is running in that unit.Then listen for a deep sound coming from down in the unit.Also feel of the large copper refrigerant line where it enters the outdoor unit and see if that line is cold like a soda out of the fridge

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK now the fan IS off.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Is thermostat still calling for ac ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok you may have more than one issue if fan has gone off also.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fan has come back on and the copper line is warm
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK if copper line is warm, either compressor s not coming on or system is low on refrigerant.Is the outdoor fan actually turning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is turning
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK .That is good.When you say copper line is warm, do you mean like same temp as outdoor air or warmer than outdoor air?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same as outdoor air
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like maybe compressor is not running.Do you have refrigerant gauges to connect to unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll need to check...be back in a minute
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Standing by

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could not find any gauges
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I think our next step is going to be to verify if the compressor is coming on.Gauges is easiest way.Do you have a clamp on amp meter we can clamp around one of the compressor wires and see if it is drawing any power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have that kind of clamp
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately without one or the other it is going to be necessary obtain them or call n a technician with tools.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thanks for walking me through these steps.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Wish it were something simple like something we could obviously see, but in most cases we need tools of the trade for troubleshooting.I a more than willing to help, but only so much we can check visually.Sort of like having a technician show up to troubleshoot without his tools.Since we can't "see" voltage or pressures, the tools are necessary.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.