HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I inherited a Goodman Furnace and Air Conditioner with the

Customer Question
house I moved into in...
I inherited a Goodman Furnace and Air Conditioner with the house I moved into in 2012.
The furnace had been replaced a few years prior by a local company that I would not have chosen.
Wiring had to be corrected as turning on my furnace fan resulted in my AC blades running.
Other things that raise my eyebrows have me wondering if everything was sized properly.
Can you tell me if the AC coil model CAUF3030A6DB (SN(###) ###-#### ***** ***** a 1 or 1.5 ton unit?
Although my heating is not an issue, the AC struggles cooling the house every summer since I have been here.
Thanks.
Brian
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/12/2016
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 1 year ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Answer:

That would be for a 2.5 ton unit.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Hi there,

I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, if there is something else I can help you with follow up questions are free and can still be handled even after you rate the service thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, I got busy with other things. Okay, I realize that the AC condensor is rated as a 1.5 ton unit.
I also get that the evaporator coil is nominally rated at 2.5 tons at 13 SEER.
My condensor is rated at 14 SEER.
What is equivalent tons at that rating? Does it change?I also noted that the AC has a flowrater and not a TXV.
Can a TXV be put into that unit?
In your opinion, could it make a reasonable difference in performance?The ductwork has a couple of issues that I may address but I am trying to check all angles.
My house is a 1960 build so sizing a 1200 sq ft bungalow with a 1.5 unit might have been on the wrong side of the dividing line between the 1.5 and a 2 ton unit.

A 2.5 ton unit inside and outside would be correct, you can get an TX valve evaporator, but you would have to replace the evaporator to do that...I am not sure exactly what you are wanting to do?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will for sure do the rating when completed.
I have been online reading more crap than I want to on these units and it sounds from some that you can get away with mismatches between the evaporator coil and the AC condensor.
My understanding is that a larger surface area for the coil (a coil that is larger than the AC rating) can be okay if a TXV is installed. Is there no way to retrofit the TXV into that unit at a reasonable price?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just want better cooling. I have no issue with heat in the winter (I am in Winnipeg in Canada) but the AC is always struggling to keep up, even on not very warm days. The AC unit and coil are not that old so I am hoping I can work with them...

If you want better cooling you really need to upgrade to A 3 TON UNIT 2.5 TON WOULD BE AT THE MAXIMUM RATING for the square footage of house. That will struggle to keep up. You really just need to upgrade to a 3 ton unit to get a unit that can keep up.

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH