HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have split A/C system. The A/C is 55ft from the utility

Customer Question
room. The unit is a...
I have split A/C system. The A/C is 55ft from the utility room. The unit is a 3 ton Payne unit with an Air handler. When we got the Gas company to connect us to gas, we switched our heating system from electrical baseboard to a Gas Furnace. This meant that we had to remove the air handler, install a new Trane furnace and Trane Evaporator coil and connect it to the 3 ton A/C unit on the outside. The distance from the furnace to the A/C unit is 55ft.
Was any Puron 410a gas lost during this process.
The technician said that NO gas was lost as he had captured all of it in the compressor.
I have my doubts because the house does not get as cold as when we had the air handler unit on really hot days. We installed the 3 ton unit as a replacement for a 2 ton unit when it died to make sure the house gets cold enough and the A/C unit does not run continuously - it now does run almost without stopping when set to 22 degrees. We live in Canada and not in Florida.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
6/5/2016
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, a good technician will generally capture all of the refrigerant in the compressor unit...however 55 feet between the furnace and AC unit is quite long, and more refrigerant needs to be added so that system runs properly... it takes an experienced technician to install the correct amount... some will put a few ounces too much refrigerant in... causing the evaporator to run warmer than it should and that will reduce the cooling capacity.

There is another issue, if the 2 ton rated refrigerant lines were left in place when you installed the 3 ton unit, the lines will be too small for proper operation.

Summary: Its a tricky refrigerant amount situation at best, ***** ***** small refrigerant lines at worst. Not all of todays techs are up to speed on the finer points in those regards.

Please rate my work., its how I earn a living and will not increase your charges.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, the both lines were changed to avoid contamination and the correct sizing was done. I believe that the puron gas is more expensive so they try not to add to their cost. Your reply is confirming my belief that it needs more gas.
Thanks.

Hello again, good work on fitting the properly sized refrigerant lines..

The units themselves are charged from the factory for the typical (minum) line length not save money so much as to avoid an over charge of refrigerant (a small over charges warms the cooling coil and a large over charge is fatal to the compressor).

I will put the 'rate your expert' box up so that you can rate my work, thats how I earn a living and will not affect your charges.

Hello again, how are you doing with it, Let me know, we can go from there.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer