Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

13 year old funace Luxaire with a small (short) A coil.

Customer Question

13 year old funace Luxaire with a small (short) A coil. Compressor gave up the ghost after 24 years need to replace. A coil with compressor. Furnace maybe too tall. Is there a short A coil pairing for a 2. 5 ton unit? 13 seer any make.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, yes there are plenty of options, tell me about how wide the door is to the closet the furnace is in, and how wide space you have to fit the furnace

Modern furnaces are shorter and wider than the older ones.

We can go from there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
furnace is in the basement of an old craftsman style home built in 1931 that has been remodeled sometime back. The furnace is a 13 year old luxaire 60000 btu narrow but tall 90% with only about 24 inches for the old A Coil which did fit. The new 2.5 ton coils are much bigger and it looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet on the size of the A Coils.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The old compressor was a carrier piston job. I can go down to the basement to obtain model numbers if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Retired Radar tech with the understanding of thermodynamics.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** have 24" wide, most of todays 2.5 ton options will fit.

Do you want to try doing most of the work yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was incorrect on plentem size as it is the furnace is only 17 inches wide at the front door. the Plentem is16 W by 21 deep.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's plenum size my bad spelling and I have a BA .
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. how wide is *closet space... the duct and plenum sizes indicate that I can find something that fits.

will this be a DIY project or will you contract the work out.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

the company is having gliches with your card... be patient, they will contact you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AMEX does not like your web site Phil even though my credit card is viable security concerns. Web security is getting tight and that is a good thing. Sorry
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** how wide your closet it and I can choose a ac split system for you.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

also tell the name of the nearest city so that I can choose the correct SEER efficiency rating for both heating and cooling.

I still need to know how much of this project you want to do yourself.