HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

New batteries installed in -Rodgers thermostat model 1F80-51

Customer Question
new batteries installed in White-Rodgers...
new batteries installed in White-Rodgers thermostat model 1F80-51 but not working.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/2/2016
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, first step is to make sure the battery terminals in the thermostat are wiped clean with a paper towel, and that they are in correctly.

Does the display work on the thermostat? but the system just not come on?

Let me know, we can go from there.

Tell me a lot about your technical background if any, and if you have a multi meter or not so that I can coach you most effectively.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have no technical knowledge. There is supposed to be a reset button in the area the batteries are stored but cannot find one. All other things have been checked out, i.e. breakers are set.

Hello again, there is no reset *button, and none shown in the manual. However, that said, there may be a tiny hole about the size of a paper clip wire, that you can insert a paper clip wire into and press that will reset the thermostat.

Take a look, let me know how it goes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As you instructed the battery terminals were cleaned and batteries are correctly inserted. There is a very small pin hole as you suggested; however, there is a wire in it. my better judgment told me not to insert anything in the hole due to fear of being electrocuted but I did anyway and still nothing happened. There is no display on the thermostat and HVAC does not turn on.
As stated, all breakers were checked, etc. and I feel $28.00 is an excessive amount for your services and all you did was try to extort more money from me. I am sending copy of all correspondence to Discover Card and request non-payment to you.

Hello again, I am sorry you feel that way, I have not ask for any rating yet and have not given you any answer at all, we are at the trouble shooting and discovery phase of getting you fixed up.... I put no time limit on any of this, and always continue until a full resolution is reached.

(my normal service rate in this business is $148 per hour however, here on Just Answer I provide my services for a tenth of that, and generally save my customers hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars on service costs.)

Let me know if you wish to continue or not,

The voltage to that thermostat by the way is 24volts, its harmless in virtually all cases.

So far I suspect a bad thermostat or bad printed circuit board inside the furnace, however some trouble shooting will be required (at no added charge) to determine that.

Let me know we can still go from here if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A new circuit board was installed just a couple of years ago. My money would be better spent on a new thermostat because it may take you a week to figure this out and it is getting pretty hot here and I am going in for surgery so lets part ways and quit wasting both our time. You are overeducated and over priced.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You advertise 100% satisfaction. I am 100% dissatisfied, therefore, no payment is due you.

Hello again, it is entirely your right and privilege to feel dissastisfied, even though we had just barely begun a trouble shooting process.

And you are 100% correct that payment is only due if *you are satisfied.

However along with my previous remarks. a circuit board installed a couple of years ago is not considered new... but more like kleenex... it could still easily be a bad printed circuit board.

However I had not diagnosed a bad circuit board as you seem to think... we were still probing the system ... something like a doctor hitting your knee with his nasty little rubber hammer... its not an effort to do any damage, but a test.

thats where we were at along these lines.

Good luck on getting a refund, I will support you in your effort because a refund is your right, unconditionally even if we had fixed your unit... and you were all nice and cool... you have that right. So I will put in a refund request for you and you can call in a $125/hr tech for a few hours.

Again good luck with the ac system.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your support in obtaining a refund. I did call a local repair person who installed a new (very simple) thermostat and charged me more but it was worth it as it is very hot here in Georgia. I will be having surgery on Monday (6/6) and will not be on line for a couple of weeks. I am going on 83 years old and hate to admit I am a bit of a grouch at my age, physical condition and current pain and discomfort in the heat. Did I mention I am on a very low fixed income? I dislike people who think they are "entitled" but in my present frame of mind and the likelihood of a short future I was trying to solve my problem in a minimal amount of time and money. I knew better but old people do stupid things. Good luck and God Bless.
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer