HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a 2003 Trane WCZ060 two-stage (2 and 5 ton) 16 SEER

Customer Question
air conditioner/heat pump. The smaller...
I have a 2003 Trane WCZ060 two-stage (2 and 5 ton) 16 SEER air conditioner/heat pump. The smaller compressor is not making much head pressure, and will need replaced. The dual-stage thermostat is programmed with the first deadband at 1 degree (start stage 1 cooling), and the second deadband at 2 degrees (start stage 2 cooling). Will it damage the air conditioner to jump Y1 and Y2 at the thermostat until the small compressor is replaced?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
5/24/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
This should not cause any damage all you will be doing is energizing both stages at once to operate at as much capacity as possible.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, did you get the second part of my question?
I do not see a second part of the question ,Please let me know what it was.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When the thermostat calls for max cooling upon turning the unit onto "cool", the small compressor runs for about 30 seconds or so, then it shuts off and there is a delay of thirty seconds or so before the big one kicks in. WHen I have Y1 and Y2 jumpered, there doesn't seem to be a delay; it seems like the small compressor is running then the big one kicks in without a delay. I don't understand this, as I thought there would be no difference between the thermostat energizing both leads and having them jumpered. That's why I'm a bit concerned that the jumpered state might damage the big compressor.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but according to the operating and installation manual for the unit, all of these decisions are made by the boards in the unit, not by the thermostat. The state for high cooling is both signals, Y1 and Y2, from the thermostat.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you get the 2 parts I sent about 1/2 hour ago?
airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician