BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a Tempstar FEM2X4200 the blower motor rocks back and

Customer Question

I have a Tempstar FEM2X4200 the blower motor rocks back and forth and will run occasionally. Right now it only rocks back and forth. Is the control module the same as the control pc board?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello, that looks like the cooling coil model number that sits on top of the furnace, the furnace model number is ***** the compartment where the gas line enters... that panel lifts up and pulls out toward you on a vertical furnace. See if you can get me that number, we can go from there'
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Meantime if you send me a photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower compartment door that will help immensely. the photo needs to be taken from up close, very well lit and very very well focused. You can attach it here using the paper clip icon at the right end of the tool bar or the 'attach files' link to the left of the send button,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This an A/C not a furnace and the blower motor is not working, the condensing unit is working fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The number I gave you is the correct Fan/Coil number.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I am not able to find the manual for that unit in my files, however if you can send me the unit wiring diagram that tells me everything I need to know about the blower and its controls.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think you are going to be able to help me, the motor spins freely and it has the proper voltages going to it. I pulled the motor and it has a control module on the back of it. according to the service bulletin I have it is the control module. I was not sure if the pc board was the module until I pulled the motor. I am trying to see if I can hot wire the motor to run until I can get the proper parts to fix it.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** described one of about 6 variations on variable speed motors... the wiring diagram would have the data needed, but better would be the brand and model number of the motor...there is a good chance that I can locate a repair video on that particular motor. Those are actually 3 phase DC motors, the speed is controlled by pulsing the current to the 3 windings to create a rotating field... the end bell has the capacitors and tryistor in it to create that effect, the printed circuit board sends a 0 to 10V signal to the end bell that controls the pulse rate of the capacitors therefore the speed of the motor. I can opt out, or if you like you can take the brand and model number from the motor, in that case there is an 80% chance I can send you a video on diagnosis and repair.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
My situation here is that I am 75 years old, retired after 30 years with the tools and the last 25 years consulting nationally.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your help, the motor control module is sealed. I will have to get a replacement module for it. It is an X-13 1/2 hp blower motor.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, good luck with it,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Hello, M name is***** have extensive knowledge with this unit. You can test and follow the guide HEREbut 99.9% is the module on the rear of the motor. And this IS the control board that is mentioned as being bad. Replace the module and you will be back in business. If you are handy with circuitry and repair you can also replace the SG thermistors as a fix.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a part number and possible supplier for this module. I am good with electronics but the module is sealed.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
This unit came 2 ways...do you have the 1/3hp or 3/4hp?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is 1/2 hp
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Just a moment
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
The part number is(###) ###-#### A quick Google will give you plenty of choices. Keep in mind this motor is/was used in many units by multiple manufacturers. The module is shown HERE as an example but shop around.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
parts list is HERE