HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

What is the expected hot-air exhaust temperature (comes our

Customer Question
right rear) in a 25'...
What is the expected hot-air exhaust temperature (comes our right rear) in a 25' Whirlpool refrigerator? Mine is only 82-82.5 degrees. The refrig runs hours, espec. at night, and I wonder if it's low on freon though only 14 months old.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Small typo: chage "our" to "out"--in sentence "comes OUT right rear."
5/20/2016
HVAC Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago
bonzaco
Good day my name is ***** ***** I am here to help you with your problem today. I am a fully qualified refrigeration engineer with 25 years of experience. Firstly refrigeration checks are done by measuring the pressure of the refrigerant inside your unit not by measuring the exhaust gas temperature. The pressures are also equally dependent upon which refrigerant is used in your appliance as there are a number. Freon has not been used in domestic appliances for about 12 years unless your unit is a very old appliance. I can however give you a few tests to carry out to give you a better overview of what the problem may be. When you are ready to go let me know, you will need to be able to get around the back of the appliance and have access to the compressor.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Very difficult to move that big beast--arthritis and little space. I hoped that a good clue would be exhaust temperature, like a patient's 98.6 or not. What tests did you have in mind? Nothing with pressure gauges, I hope, or that technical. I have two IR meters--one a spot meter, one broader--if that helps.
HVAC Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago
OK what is the actual problem to give me an overview of what you think is wrong rather than the obvious 'its not working' what are the existing temperatures in the fridge and freezer. IR into back panel inside please.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My original question didn't say "not working." I said it is running hours, too many hours for the small amount of heat exhaust. I don't want to burn out/use up the compressor. Interior temps are okay, per the tech, and indeed he did find bits of food at 8 degrees in the freezer and "cold enough" up in the main area. I fear that the refrig runs too long to get those okay temps, and that long runs would eat up the compressor and so on prematurely. (Last three refrigs--two Kenmores, one Korean) lasted 2-4 years each. Too short. So knowing usual exhaust-air temps would be a good sign, I'd think.
HVAC Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago
OK thank you for the update. I think which parallels your thoughts that it may be slightly short of refrigerant or equally the compressor is failing and only pumping at 70% efficiency rather than 100%. In either case the only way to be sure is to get a set of gauges on the pipes at the back and check the pressures. What actually happens when either there is a shortage of refrigerant or the compressor is failing is that instead of the unit running for say 20 minutes the time elongates to compensate for the lack of efficencey firstly to lets say 30 minutes, then 40 mins and eventually it never stops. As the compressor is dependent on the return flow of refrigerant to cool it as lack of refrigerant will cause its early demise if not rectified. However before you call anyone out check that the condenser coils at the back near the compressor are clear of fluff and debris and that the condenser fan is running?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just tried again to move that beast but it will take two of me if not three. I'll have to assume that there's not a signific. bunch of stuff in the back, as the refrig is 14 mo old and there is air pushed out of the rear--that's where I get the reading exhaust air reading of 82-83 degrees. In other refrigs exhaust air was hotter--I'd guess in the 90s or more.
HVAC Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago
Different gas way back then, in my opinion a much better one but progress in not always to everyone benefit.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
different gas 14 months ago?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
oops. misundestood.
My last refrig was only a year ago and put out plenty of hot air when running well. When it started putting out just warm air then no air, it was replaced due to freon leaks in its metal tubing that cd not be found. I'd expect that this big 25 cu. ft. unit should put out plenty of hot air.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess we are done then. Your insights were worth something, tho did not answer the exact question. I'll see what options come for reward.
HVAC Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago
Different gas way back then, in my opinion a much better one but progress in not always to everyone benefit. Thank you for your kind thoughts, if you are able to get the appliance out we can continue the conversation if you so wish, just sign back on and you will be routed across to me. Have a good afternoon - Ian
bonzaco
bonzaco
bonzaco