HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Can you add tonnage to an additional A/C system easily? I have

Customer Question
a small restaurant with a...
Can you add tonnage to an additional A/C system easily? I have a small restaurant with a 2 ton unit. I'm not sure of the terminology but inside there is a big box that is not easy to get to. Would I have to change or replace the box inside the restaurant or just the unit on the roof?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/15/2016
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 1 year ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Hello, My name is ***** ***** determined by the blower. Do you have any model numbers?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I'm not at the location currently. Could you tell me if these can be found on the unit inside or the unit outside?
everything is relative meaning if we increase tonnage we must increase the blower/airflow. If we change size of the roof unit then we have to change the indoor coil and also possibly the blower. When I have done this before for restaurants, I have added another unit, whether on ground or roof...and used the 2 systems having one also as a back up. The price to increase the tonnage/size of the existing is generally 80% of buying a new system or more. The indoor unit will have a model name plate and the roof unit also. But from experience I would say you would want to invest in another unit instead of increasing the one...OR...simply replace the entire system with larger,,BUT.....then we need worry if duct work is big enough. Auxillary units will be the more prudent way to go.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If we added another unit would we have to change much on the inside?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We don't have space or even the possibility of increasing the physical size of the unit that is inside. The duct work is pretty big, it's circular and probably about 1 foot in diameter.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
And by auxiliary unit you mean an additional outdoor unit? Or one of those wall mount units?
Your best bet will be the ductless wall hung units. You can get 1 condenser with multiple indoor wall units. Example....one slim condenser outside and 1,2 or 3 wall units inside. No ductwork.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As far as the BTU's go, would you recommend 12000 or 18000 or something more?
depends on what you are lacking.you can go up to 36,000 btu. Is this cooling for one room of diners or the kitchen area?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Kitchen area is tiny and is open into the dining room. Whole space is about 1000 Sqf. The ducts we have now don't go into the kitchen but do go all over the dining room. We generally keep the front door open most of the time as well.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If there is a brand of these you would recommend that would be appreciated too.
One I did for a breakfast/lunch diner ...was to install a 2 head 18,000 btu.We put one head on one side...and another opposite. This covered the area well. It worked so well we set the main unit a couple degrees higher...to act as a second stage if needed. The ductless is much more efficient and their cooling bills were cut in half. Just make sure whatever you get has american support for parts. Units like Chigo are hard to get parts for. Stick with Goodman, Fujitsu, Daiken...Heat controller also.
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech