HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have an Aprilaire 8463 thermostat. When I set the cooling

Customer Question
HI, I have an Aprilaire...
HI, I have an Aprilaire 8463 thermostat. When I set the cooling temperature, it forces the heating temperature to change so that the cooling temperature is no less than three degrees warmer than the cooling temperature. I understand the need to prevent systems triggering too frequently, but this creates a problem. During crossover periods of the year, the temperature can get hot during the day and then cold at night. Dealing with a three degree differential between heating and cooling will require that I go into the thermostat each day to manually adjust, defeating the purpose of a programmable thermostat. Is there any way to adjust an Aprilaire thermostat so it would allow a differential between heating and cooling temperature settings of two degrees instead of three? If not, are you aware of any other brand that either has a lower differential between cooling and heating settings, or that allows me to set one myself to two degrees?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
5/9/2016
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 1 year ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly. That one can not be changed, however an older one like the 8353 would allow for that differential setting 1-3 degrees. All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Take your time. But note that the old 8353 allows you to adjust the differential between the temperature you set - either hearing or cooling system - and the temperature the austen kicks in in response to your setting. This is not the same as the differential minimum between heating and cooling temperatures, which is what I'm asking about.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, by "austen" I meant "system."
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just saw that justanswer charged my card for the full amount even though you said you had to do research to answer my question and the discontinued model you referred me to provides a setting that's different than the one I was asking about. Please confirm you will answer my original question.
All of these thermostats are going to be accurate within 1-1.5 degrees without adjustments. I understand what you are saying, but I have found nor know of any that can do what you want it to do the most I found is an older one still but it only is adjustable by 1.5 degrees.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure what you mean by "can do what you want." I asked if there are any out there that are "either" adjustable or ALREADY have a minimum differential between cooling and heating temperature settings of less than three degrees. To confirm, are you BOTH that there are none that have such a minimum differential that can be adjusted AND that there are none with a minimum differential that is less than three degrees?Separately, I'm not sure why you refer to accuracy, it's not part of my question and it makes me ask whether you understand the question. In addition, I checked the manual for the discontinued model you referred to (Aprilaire 8353) and, again, it has NO settings for changing the minimum differential between cooling and heating temperature settings.A reply responding clearly and comprehensively to my question would be appreciated.
Let me see if another expert can assist you on this please stand by
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
You should be able to make this adjustment in the setup menu.That is considered the deadband differential. Let me know if you have instructions on entering setup menu and you can adjust the deadband (Function 14) to 2 degrees.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But my question was WHAT ARE the models that have or allow a differential of less than three degrees,Customer Neither you nor HVAC guru have said which thermostats have that feature. That was my question. The justanswer website said I wouldn't be charged until I received a "satisfactory" answer, but I've been charged and I haven't gotten a responsive answer. Thanks trying to help out, but justanswer charging my card without me getting a responsive answer is BS.
My answer as for the thermostat you currently have. If 2 degree is sufficient for your need, why would you want to replace it.Simply set the differential according to the instructions. If you are determined to replace thermostat, let me know what brand you prefer and features and I can suggest one as there are literally dozens of good ones available,
Your question was " Is there any way to adjust an Aprilaire thermostat so it would allow a differential between heating and cooling temperature settings of two degrees instead of three" You can make that adjustment in the setup menu function 14. Since your thermostat offers that feature, I did not reply with other models as your question said "If not, are you aware of any other brand that either has a lower differential between cooling and heating settings, or that allows me to set one myself to two degrees?
airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician