Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

Replacing a Lennox Y2081 thermostat with a Nest. Lennox has

Customer Question

Replacing a Lennox Y2081 thermostat with a Nest. Lennox has a T wire, Nest does not. Where did I connect the T wire on the Nest?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The Lennox Y2018 thermostat has a wire connect to a T terminal. The Nest does not have a T terminal. Where do I connect the wire that went to the T on the Lennox when I install the Nest?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help! The T wire on the old Lennox thermostat is for an outdoor thermistor sensor in your outdoor unit. It is to help control a tighter control band depending on outside air temperature. The Nest does not use this at all so you should not hook it up. You should insulate the end of the wire and tuck it back in the wall! Let me know if you have further questions on this subject. Otherwise, please remember to rate before leaving (3 stars or higher please!). Bonuses are always appreciated! Thanks for allowing me to help and thanks for using Just Answer!Thank you,Brian