HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have an old Carrier 3 pieces Wheathermaster III Heat

Customer Question
Hello I have an old...
Hello I have an old Carrier 3 pieces Wheathermaster III Heat pump model 38SW100. It is about 25 to 30 years old. I had it inspected and serviced by a Carrier technician. Everything works very well. I had a A419 thermostat installed to stop the Heatpump at -10 celsius. Coolant was added (about 2 pounds) because the filler cap had a small leak. (cap was replaced also).
A/C work well, heat pump perfect. I was told it is a very reliable model and was worth a bit of effort to keep it in shape.
It is a 15KW heatstrip inside the air handler. 3x 5KW elements. The tech advised after testing it that the first element was shorted.
He offered to have it restringed for me, but I am very capable of doing it myself.
My only question remaining: What is the Outside Diameter of coil wires used in these heatstrips elements. I want to order a restring kit but I have to know if it's 11/32- 3/8 - 5/8 or even 7/16 inch?
I want to match the coil size as close to the original.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
5/2/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Let me see what I can find. Below is a link to the restring kit, but not sure if I can find the diameter.http://www.bestbuyheatingandairconditioning.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HSK1588RC&Category_Code=EHcar
Found the part number and the restring as well as entire kit, but none list the actual diameter
I understand. I believe this is just the restring kit although picture shows the assembly.I will opt out to see if other experts know exact diameter
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also ordering this part from USA to Canada will cost me a 190$ in shipping!!! OUCH!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you
I understand.I am sure a universal kit from a local supplier will work.You might be able to contact that seller though and get them to get you the actual diameter of the coils.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you please let me repost my question to another expert si I can get my answer please?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks
HVAC Technician: Gaztech, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician
Hello
Info was not to be found even through Carrier.My question is..Why don't you measure the outside diameter of your existing coils taking in account variations due to stretching and expansion You should have specs to a reasonable level.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Because I don't want to take the unit appart before I have the new coils. I want the parts ready to restring and re install right away.
I have a pending request for that info, will get back to you when I get feedback
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I will be waiting for your info.
Have had no response from dealer for your issue, I would use common sense and restring regardless of size as long as it's close and does the job.
Gaztech
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician