HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

So I have a Bryant Evolution thermostat with the wires

Customer Question
A-green, B-yellow, C-White, and D-Red...
So I have a Bryant Evolution thermostat with the wires A-green, B-yellow, C-White, and D-Red, along with an unused Blue wire in the back of my thermostat. I want to install a NEST but I don't think it will work. Does anyone have any insight to this being possible?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
4/30/2016
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 1 year ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Hello, My name is Billy. It will not work. Your existing thermostat is a "communicating" thermostat just for your system. It is not interchangeable with the nest. Some units are capable of being converted but it would require rewiring at furnace, thermostat and possibly ac. But as it stands it will not work, Billy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would like to know how to rewire this at the furnace if possible. Is there a diagram I can follow to allow me to rewire it. I assume it would only use 5 wires to accomplish a reconnection. If that is the case I would like to know how to do it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Had I known I was going to get a proprietary piece of shit wiring interconnection that limits the types of thermostats I would have never agreed to use this device.Marc
The current thermostat "talks" to the system in a regular exchange of information.Fan speed, burners, ac.....it operates the system at its highest efficiency possible. Problem is when you want to change thermostats it does 2 things.. Requires new wiring...and also lowers efficiency.If you supply the furnace model number or take pic of circuit board in furnace I can see if yours can be converted to standard 24v off/on use instead of the communicating operation. Billy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Billy, can I just buy another circuit board that would allow me to use a NEST.
you may not need to change. Once I see the board or you give me model number I can see if you have the alternate terminals.
behind the bottom metal panel that has the peep hole in it. That peep hole is see the board diagnostic light. You would need to remove the bottom panel
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Billy I will do that in the am.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please do let me know your thoughts.
Thank you!On the left side edge of the board....there is a vertical black strip of connections.R,G,Y,W,C etc....can you post pic of that row of terminals please?Then we can get started
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK Billy here you go! I think you can see it from several angles.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just to let you know I can run a separate set of wires from the control circuit to the NEST as they are only physically separated bye about 10 feet. The controller is directly above the furnace and their is a space to run wires. I would just as soon leave the old ones in place in case I need to go back.Marc
Excellent pics, and I thank you.I see a black wire on R and one on G. This would appear there is a switch to run blower only...?Is this something that would remain? It would be redundant as the new thermostat should have a fan "on" switch. Tell me about those 2 black wires and we can get this done pretty easily.
did you track the 2 black wires yet?
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech