HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have a KitchenAid downdraft vent KIRD801VSS. About two years

Customer Question

I have a KitchenAid downdraft vent KIRD801VSS. About two years ago when it was 2 years old it stopped working. Technicians were able to fix it, not sure what they did but it cost $160 mostly for a service call.
Now it is not working again. Here is what happened:
1. After using the vent one evening we pushed the button on the upper right to turn it off.
2. The vent top retracted into the unit.
3. Then a few minutes later the vent raised again on its own - nobody pushed a button or anything. The vent blower was not on.
4. The unit was unresponsive - cannot turn on on the blower or lower the unit using the button.
The breaker was not reset so the unit should be getting power.
Any suggestions on next steps (other than calling a technician to fix it again)?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly. Is the unit stuck up now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried to turn power off to the unit for a full minute then turn it back on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean turn power off at the breaker?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did so, then switched the breaker back on. It made no noticeable difference. Vent is still in fully upright position, still inoperable when I push the button to send it back down or move the fan vent power slider up or down.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
You likely have a main control board issue on the unit they fail quite often for that issue and if it does nothing when pressed I would say that is the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any chance it could be a fuse in the device? I think it has 2 internal fuses.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
You can check the fuses on the board, but I doubt that is the issue causing that problem, the board is off to the bottom right hand corner and has a cover over it.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, if there is something else I can help you with follow up questions are free and can still be handled even after you rate the answer or did you just forget to rate the answer?