HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Billy, I've got a Trane XV 80 Model TUD100R9V5J1 that has had inter

Customer Question
Hi Billy, I've got a...
Hi Billy, I've got a Trane XV 80 Model TUD100R9V5J1 that has had intermittent gas valve problems for years. Problem was at Molex connector to gas valve. I found if I pulled it to one side with wire ties, it worked. Recently, that stopped working. But there were times when I could jiggle the 3 wires and get the gas valve to come on/off. While debugging, I measured 24VAC from P.M. (red) to Hi (brown) and 24VAC from P.M. to C (light blue?). I took the module with the switch/connector off and found cracks around the 3 pins. Soldered them so they made good connections. Still no joy. Can't measure 24VAC anymore during firing cycle. Igniter lights up nicely, inducer is running well, red LED flashing fast so calling for heat. But after igniter is on for a while, it just shuts off. Lockout happens after 2 cycles. Any ideas? Thanks, Brian
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/15/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Are you getting any error codes when burners fail to ignite?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. Red LED continues to fast flash (call for heat) and then goes to slow double flash after two cycles (locked out). Yellow LEDs on bottom of Intell-Ignition board: DS3-allways on, DS4&DS5-never on, although DS4 may be on dimly. Green DS6 is on with some flickers off. I think this refers to air flow.
If we are not getting 24 volts to the valve after igniter lights and no error code, this is going to be a bad board.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, I was figuring it might be that. But why would it go bad just after I fixed the intermittent connection? Doesn't make sense. And the overall 24 volts is good.
Not sure of the relation, but as soon as igniter lights, board should send 24v to valve.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes, of course. I knew that but was hoping you would be able to provide some specifics regarding the board, such as what the yellow LEDs are indicating, does DS4/DS5 always being off indicate a problem (and what problem), perhaps ways to isolate if it is indeed the board vs something else, and so on. Also, as an aside to trying to solve this problem, my experience with Just Answer has been, well, a little weird. I found the site while googling solutions to this problem and was reading people's posts and the answers, and they were pretty good. I kept getting this pop-up from "Billy" asking details about my problem. Finally, after getting frustrated, I submitted a detailed description of my problem, expecting "Billy" to just respond. Instead, I get passed off to "Phil" and I learn that payment is expected (surprise!). But "Phil" seemed to have good credentials and is an older mechanical engineer, as am I. So, OK, even though I don't normally do this kind of thing (paying for internet interaction), I need to get this fixed and I'm out of things to try. So I agree, and then get passed off to "Airheatman" and endless solicitations to buy premium service, buy monthly subscriptions, etc, etc. It reminds me of the ugliness of used car salesmen. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now. Sorry to go on, but I'm frustrated and getting hit up to spend more and more money, in different ways ($24 to talk on the phone?), is not helping my frustration.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, I just checked my email and I see that because you had written something to me, I was being billed the additional $40, as if your response was an answer I was 100% satisfied with. It was not, hence my additional exchanges with you. *IF* we can come to some conclusion that satisfies me (even if it does mean buying a new board), then I'll pay. But so far, I'm not there. Can you provide me the kind of information that I expected to get from this consultation?
Sorry for the confusion and the way website operates. If you start a new question and mention a specific expert, the expert is sent an email and has 15 minute lock on question.If expert is not available,the question is open to all experts.We do not want your money if we are unable to help. The phone call offer is an automatic offer from website and only should be billed if you accept the offer and prefer to talk by phone.I am going to open this back up and see if perhaps Billy is available now since he was the original expert you requested.Please do not rate or respond as that will send back to me and delay even further getting Billy.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, thanks for the response. After working on it some more, I decided to order the upgraded replacement board. I suspect I have two unrelated intermittent electrical problems. I may have fixed the one caused by three cracked solder pads on where the pins in the molex connector attach to the circuit board in the black switch module on the gas valve. But there seems to be an intermittent something bad on the Intel-Ignition board. Generally, there's no 24VAC coming to the gas valve. But sometimes, rarely now, it does come on and the furnace lights for a while.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oops, sorry about responding. I had read your comment about not rating, but missed the part about not responding. Oh, well.
HVAC Technician: HvacmanSean, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
HvacmanSean
HvacmanSean, HVAC Technician
Hey brian are you needing help ? I have seen this ticket open for a day or so now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I don't need help. I need to say that I was extremely disappointed and unimpressed with what transpired during my interaction with Just Answer. Assuming this is someone not familiar with my experience, please see the previous posts. I received exactly nothing useful to me, yet despite your promise, it appears that I have already been billed for this, and kept getting pushed, pushed, pushed, to buy more "services". I am not satisfied and expect there to be no charge. Please rescind the charge if it has been made. I see I have an email, likely for a survey, and I'll likely fill it out. I really expected a better experience.
Brian, I apologize you weren't satisfied, Wish I was able to help but were only allowed one expert to lock on at one time, Ill put in a refund request for you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you.
HvacmanSean
HvacmanSean
HvacmanSean, HVAC Technician