Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My oil furnace keeps shutting off. When I check the furnace

Customer Question

My oil furnace keeps shutting off. When I check the furnace the red light is on. I press the switch and the red light goes off. The furnace runs for a few hours and shuts off again.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.When was the last time the burner was tuned up? When you say it shuts off do you mean the burner locks out and you have to hit the reset again to get it started?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
In case you missed my edit, here it is againWhen you say it shuts off do you mean the burner locks out and you have to hit the reset again to get it started?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, the burner locks out and I have to hit the reset button to get it started again. There is a red light on the reset switch. When I press the button it turns amber and the furnace starts.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
When was the last time it was tuned up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 or 5 years ago.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then you need a tune up. Oil burners should be tuned up every year or 2. If you have some mechanical experience I can tell you what needs to be done but this is usually something best left to a burner tech.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay tell me what to do.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
What is the brand and model of your burner?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I'm logging off for the night. I'll get back to you tomorrow once I know what you have for a burner