How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phil Your Own Question
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Category: HVAC
Satisfied Customers: 6022
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
Type Your HVAC Question Here...
Phil is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I needed to tap into an exisitng 1" natural gas line to feed

Customer Question

I needed to tap into an exisitng 1" natural gas line to feed a new dryer. After installing a 1" x 1" x 1/2" T in my black iron pipe line, within 10 feet of the meter, the new valve "rattles" when turned fully on. At half-way or three-quarter open it does not make a sound.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: After the T then1" line reduced to 1/2" tobfeed my HWH.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. ANSWER: Are you sure you do not have a high pressure gas line run to your house? Basically do you see a round regulator on all other devices that run on gas from the gas line going to each unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The outside meter has a round regulator. Furnace, oven/stove and HWH do not have any external regulator.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
What valve is rattling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
manual shut off valve that controls gas flow to the new dryer.meter main line T's to a 1" line to the garage (10 ft) and to the furnace 50 ft away1" line from the main junction T's to
A) 1" line that reduces to a 1/2" line that feeds the HWH through a shut off valve
B} 1/2" line that feeds the gas dryer through a shut off valve (this one rattles when full on and nothing connected).
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
SO just the shut off valve rattles? I have never heard of that