airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a 1987 Snyder general furnace DGHA075A014BIN AND IT

Customer Question

i have a 1987 Snyder general furnace DGHA075A014BIN AND IT WONT HEAT UP IT TURNS ON IF I ADJUST FAN LIMITER BUT NO HEAT SO NOT SURE IF THIS MODEL HAS A PILOT LIGT OR AN AUTO IGNITER AND WHERE IT IS
JA: I'll do all I can to help, Snyder general furnace DGHA075A014BIN AND IT WONT HEAT UP IT TURNS ON IF I ADJUST FAN LIMITER BUT no HEAT SO NOT SURE IF THIS MODEL HAS A PILOT LIGT OR AN AUTO IGNITER AND WHERE IT IS. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: LIKE WHAT
JA: Anything else I can tell the HVAC Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: THAT IS IT IN A NUT SHELL FAN WORKS BUT NO HEAT SO BURNER NOT LIGHTING AND CANT TELL IF IT HAS A PILOT OR A HEATING ELEMENT AND WHERE IT WOULD BE CANT FIND ANYHTING ON THIS OLD FURNACE FROM 1987
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Being a 1987,it is not likely to have an electronic pilot.Look at gas valve for me and tell me if it has 3 positions(Off,Pilot and ON ) or just 2 (OFF/ON)
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Below is a video of a 1988 Snyder General (Not exact model as yours) that shows one with an electronic igniter so it is possible.If yours has just OFF and ON selection on gas valve, look and see if you see those two wires just below the burner manifold that goes to the glow bar.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do23zlMnuG8
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes just has an off and on pic attached
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
O then you will have an electronic pilot. Do you see the wires mentioned that go under the burner manifold?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I mentioned if I play with the fan limiter it works fine I turned gas off and on and don't see any type of pilot light Will look at video u sent in a second This is a furnace I use as a separate one for my third floor I don't recall ever lighting a pilot so I was thinking some type electrical or perhaps I am stating it wrong when I say electrical I mean some type of heating element
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to run out of house for a little but I believe I recall some wires running from it
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Looks like you have a spark igniter. This orange wire from module should go the the igniter in front of burners.Do you hear it clicking or see a spark on call for heat?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
This is spark igniter cable
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No clicking just when I throw the power / fuse on hear that part start up but when thermostat turned up don't hear the typical clicking
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Take a piece of fine sandcloth and make sure there is no carbon built up on igniter.See below
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will make sure tip is clean I assume I access that area thru the access panel were the blower Motor is. If it was that should I hear clicking but no ignition ? Or if dirty would it not click. Assuming that doesn't work would that most likely be the part that is bad with no clicking noise upon turning thermostat up ? If so where do you suggest I order a replacement part from for this older furnace
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
If it is dirty you may not hear the clicking.If you clean it and still do not get a click and spark, make sure that orange cable does not have any breakdown(You can check with an ohm meter). Then I suspect that module to be the culprit.You can Google the number on the module for best price.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will try to clean with sand papers tmmrw morning and to clarify when you say module you are referring to the igniter.. ( that prob needs replaced ?) And if I take a multimeter and put it oh ohms where should I be touching the leads to and what should I see a readout as
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was other pic a bit cleare if it helps at all to verify type igniter
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Below is the module. To test continuity on the orange cable, disconnect from module and igniter and touch ends of wire to make sure it is not breaking down.