BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a model CFM 80 PO CONV Miller fuel oil furnace. Can

Customer Question

Hi, I have a model CFM 80 PO CONV Miller fuel oil furnace.
Can I install this model in a mobile home trailer where the furnace is located in a closed closet to where a air vacuume is created to pull return air into blower fan from under the floor (no duct work) and then push the warm thru duct work throughout the the trailer. The old furnace was a Intertherm that drew combustion air from a chimney pipe inside another chimney pipe down into the furnace body and into the burner. It was a sealed system for all practical purposes.
My concerns using this Miller are:
- when the blower fan kicks on it will pull very cold air (I live in Alaska) from outside the mobile home chimney as it is a standard mobile home installation with the exhauste running through another pipe with a 1 inch gap and the inside another pipe with a 1 1/2 gap. Allowing this free air will also decreases the vacuum needed to pull return air from under the floor.
- another real concern is with the strong blower fan possibly pulling in carbon monoxide from the exhaust air so close to the return air in the same chimney.
- also should I even be using this type of chimney? I am very concerned about getting the proper chimney clearances for heat/fire issues.
No real help up here, looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks, ***** ***** Copper Center Alaska.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
Hello Gary, No stop that project not a good idea at all. You can not install that Miller fuel oil furnace in that location. That is not designed for that application. You need to get something different made for a trailer not the Miller unit as that is not safe at all you could die. All I ask is please use the star rating system at the top of your page before leaving thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Copy. Projected stopped.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
Gary I do not want you to kill yourself as that probably would.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is***** furnace IS approved for mobile home use. It is installed in a closet with louvered doors. Return air for living space comes through the door and then through ductwork throughout home. The combustion air comes from below the floor. here is a manual for the installation..CFM80PO Installation Installed as directed it will not "kill" you but actually be a furnace designed for mobile home application with all proper venting materials still available. My name is ***** ***** I supported my answer with the proper manual to assist you. If you need further help...just ask for Billy for the correct information.