HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Lennox system. Outdoor unit shut down on AC mode. Replaced

Customer Question
the capacitor and motor. Started...
Lennox system. Outdoor unit shut down on AC mode. Replaced the capacitor and motor. Started up fine, then clicking noise and eventually shut down. Turned off power to both inside and outside units. Alternating flashing red lights on exterior unit panel. After reset, outdoor unit came on for about 15 minutes, then shut off again. Wall thermostat does not indicate cool setting (change of color on Nest), stays black.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: I have the proper capacitor and motor for the model of Lennox per Grainger. the unit is 10+ years old. Model #HP26-030-7P
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/30/2016
HVAC Technician: Gaztech, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

hello, I am Luke the expert here to assist you.

Are you ready?

OK so the alternating light on the outdoor unit indicatesanti short mode, 5mins, the Nest t-stat is is not doing good contact to the outdoor unit, hence the clicking sound outside.

Typo error. OK so the alternating light on the outdoor unit indicates anti short mode,OR( compressor protection mode) 5mins, the Nest t-stat is is not doing good contact to the outdoor unit, hence the clicking sound outside.

Go it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I correct it? The Nest has been running AC fine for several months. Is this something has could happen inadvertently?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could it be wiring/connections to the Nest unit from AC unit?

I have removed 3 Nest t-stat with the same problem, it should be under warranty, grt another one or something else better.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Honeywell?

Honeywell 8000 series with outdoor sensor or White Rodgers IF195 are the best for the buck.

To be certain, visually check all wiring terminals from t-stat to furnace to AC

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok will do. In your opinion, if the wiring is fine, have you experienced the Nest units going bad overall?

I have removed 3 Nest t-stat with the same problem, it should be under warranty, grt another one or something else better

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, got it. Will attempt to fix based on your advice. Might need to circle back if not the answer. Thanks!

If you do this you will have resolved your issue.

Dont forget to click finished and rate my sevice for me to get paid for helping you.

Cheers!!

Luke

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now two red lights are flashing together, not alternating. Exterior unit not running.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you there??

Ok I am here

Normal operation / power to outdoor board is Synchronized Flash with LED 2 Synchronized Flash with LED 1

Call for heat at t-stat it will start, but you will have to resolve the problem with either bad connections or bad t-stat like I explained before.

Can you Click FINISH if we are done, this way I can get paid by JUST ANSWER for assisting you.

Thanks

Luke

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still working on the problem. Switched out tstat and still have intermittent shutdown of outdoor unit.

Sorry to hear your still having problems, Before you do anything else, when outdoor units shuts down you should go and see for error code.

And also measure voltage of t-stat wire going in the outdoor unit. if t-stat is calling you should get at least 24 volts.

Gaztech
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician