Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a Beckett R7184B 1032 control unit that

Customer Question

I have a Beckett R7184B 1032 control unit that intermittently does not turn on when the thermostat calls for heat. It flashes a green LED for a half second every 1-2 seconds. Upon pressing the red rest button, it fires up and cycles normally until the thermostat says "stop". The problem recurs every couple of days.
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I think that sums it up.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Additional info: Oil burner & furnace had regular biannual "tune-up" by a professional 6 months ago.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The most common cause for this type of problem is ignition electrodes that are out of spec. Could also be a weak ignition transfomer/igniter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The unit was tuned up six months ago. Is ensuring ignition electrodes are 'in spec' typically part of most normal annual service routines by typical professional service providers?Are either of these conditions something a homeowner with average debugging and home repair skills can confirm and/or fix himself?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Yes checking the electrodes is part of a typical tune up. Normally messing with an oil burner is not something I would recommend an average home owner tackle. I can tell you what needs to be done if you like but it's up to you to decide if you want to leave it to a pro or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lunch hour is over, gotta get back to work :-)
How does one measure the 'weakness' of the transformer? Can you test this with a multimeter?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You can't test it with a meter it 10,000 volts. We use a heavy screwdriver with a good plastic handle and bridge the 2 terminals holding the blade on 1 and the tip about 3/8" from the other then turn the burner back on. A good transformer arc will jump the gap.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

To get to the terminals you release the tabs at the front of the transformer then swing it back on it's hinge. Another much lees likely culprit is a bad/dirty cad cell (electric eye) or a bad cell socket. You'll see it when you flip the trans former back open. It's attached to the underside of the transformer

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet. Problem has not recurred yet. Still assessing.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok