HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Beckett R7184B 1032 control unit that

Customer Question
intermittently does not turn on...
I have a Beckett R7184B 1032 control unit that intermittently does not turn on when the thermostat calls for heat. It flashes a green LED for a half second every 1-2 seconds. Upon pressing the red rest button, it fires up and cycles normally until the thermostat says "stop". The problem recurs every couple of days.
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I think that sums it up.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Additional info: Oil burner & furnace had regular biannual "tune-up" by a professional 6 months ago.
3/29/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 1 year ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The most common cause for this type of problem is ignition electrodes that are out of spec. Could also be a weak ignition transfomer/igniter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The unit was tuned up six months ago. Is ensuring ignition electrodes are 'in spec' typically part of most normal annual service routines by typical professional service providers?Are either of these conditions something a homeowner with average debugging and home repair skills can confirm and/or fix himself?

Yes checking the electrodes is part of a typical tune up. Normally messing with an oil burner is not something I would recommend an average home owner tackle. I can tell you what needs to be done if you like but it's up to you to decide if you want to leave it to a pro or not.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Lunch hour is over, gotta get back to work :-)
How does one measure the 'weakness' of the transformer? Can you test this with a multimeter?

You can't test it with a meter it 10,000 volts. We use a heavy screwdriver with a good plastic handle and bridge the 2 terminals holding the blade on 1 and the tip about 3/8" from the other then turn the burner back on. A good transformer arc will jump the gap.

To get to the terminals you release the tabs at the front of the transformer then swing it back on it's hinge. Another much lees likely culprit is a bad/dirty cad cell (electric eye) or a bad cell socket. You'll see it when you flip the trans former back open. It's attached to the underside of the transformer

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not yet. Problem has not recurred yet. Still assessing.

Ok

Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor