HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have a Dunkirk and the main power light is and the call

Customer Question

I have a Dunkirk and the main power light is green and the call for heat circulation pump light is green but the gas valve burner light is off.
The pilot is lite and flue for the gas flow is open but we have no heat?
Why? And can you help?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am GURU an extremely experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and perosnally did not receive that money. The only way I am credited is when you use the STAR/VOTE RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page. Lastly when we are done please post to me that you would like me "GURU" credited before supply the rating so there is no confusion on the tech to be credited for the question. Thank you!

Have you tried to hold down the RED RESET button for 30 seconds to reset the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not. Can the Heat be running when I try this?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can just hold the red reset button down for 30 seconds and try it see what happens

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing happens as if pushing it in did nothing
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

You have to press and hold it in for 30 seconds

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right. I did but nothing occurred.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK do you see the yellow wires to the control box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two of them
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK get a paperclip or jumper wire and jumper across the Tw and TR do you see those two terminals?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see the W and R ... In R is 1 yellow wire and in W is a yellow and a red wire. Both are next to eachother and held in place by a screw.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Yes use a paperclip or jumper wire and touch the two terminals together and see if it fires up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See image
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I located a paper clip. Now you want me with my hand to touch one end on W and the other end on R?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long? And what should occur?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ignorance disclaimer... I don't want to blow up
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

You wont blow up it is low voltage, just jumper across the two terminals and keep it jumpered and see if it fires up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
more ignorance am I just keeping one piece of the paper clip metal touching each outer screw? Or metal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what or how to jumper with a paper clip?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

You need a wire or something to connect the two terminals so they are a complete circuit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I laid the paper clip end on W then on R and it sparked. My fingers are still tingling ... Kinda scared. Heart racing. Anyway the thing turned off completely and then back on but no gas valve burner .... And now I'm kinda freaked out to try again due to the shock
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

What style thermostat are you using for the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have one for upstairs and one for downstairs ... One is new as of 3-4 months ago. Names unknown.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Check the batteries in the thermostats given it sparked would typically indicate the thermostat is not closing to signal the burner to start hence no Red call light. I think you have a thermostat issue or thermostat wiring issue on the unit. When you connect the two terminals I was having you connect that is a direct call for heat like the thermostat would do.

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR USING THE 5 STAR or VOTING RATING SYSTEM AT THE TOP OF YOUR PAGE before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think you did fine but some questions can't be answered through chat. I'm happy to pay something for your attempt but $45 is tough considering I need to get somebody here tomorrow. How do I end it?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

You can just rate the service and then tell customer service what you want to pay me as I do not receive all the money anyways. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I'll talk with them and rate later. Thanks
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK