How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Plourde Your Own Question
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician
Category: HVAC
Satisfied Customers: 327
Experience:  hvac technichian at performance plumbing and heating
Type Your HVAC Question Here...
Daniel Plourde is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need a copeland compressor that will replace a Bristol

Customer Question

need a copeland compressor that will replace a Bristol H23B28SABCA heat pump compressor (circa yr2000)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 1 year ago.

hi i am dan i can help you with this the most direct replacement would be a CR28K6e-pfv. if you want to go with a scroll and have the room you would need a ZR28K5E-PFV. here are some links for you. let me know if this helps or if you need more information.,600&SearchManufacturer=COPELAND%25252bCORPORATION

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Daniel for the reply.
I need more specific information in order to pull the trigger on this.
1. I would like to SEE supporting corresponding specifications for the Copeland Heat Pump Compressor unit from Control Central. I want to see documentation or written assurance from yourself or an engineer, that the Copeland Heat Pump Compressor unit that I would be purchasing, actually is THE replacement part for my Bristol Heat Pump Compressor H23B28SABCA and that it will fit in my York Heat Pump cabinet (1BHA030A06B, Year 2000). The Copeland model pictured in the ad is visibly taller and skinnier than the Bristol model in my cabinet. I do not know enough to dismiss the Copeland product so - if this unit pictured in the ad is NOT the one, I don't want to waste my time with a "reasonable" equivalent that MIGHT work. I am aiming at exact match but will be satisfied with excellent replacement.
2. I am an ordinary, residential home owner (not a HVAC technician or RE) and Grainger will not sell to me without a business license and an account with them. It appears that may be the case with Control Central as well. I need to be able to purchase the unit from a reputable on-line dealer (hopefully at a reasonable price) without having to set up a business. It is nearly impossible to find a technician or contractor that does not want to gouge me, a homeowner for their service and the parts. I have gotten two quotes so far and these outfits want to charge me minimum $1,500 just for the unit. I am not against them making money. But I am trying to be a smart buyer, and save a reasonable amount of money.
3. Thus far, I am happy that you responded and hopefully my concerns can be addressed with your expertise. If not - I hope that you can refer me to someone who will.I anticipate your next response.
Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 1 year ago.
Ok i am away from my computer right now but I will get back to you later this afternoon.
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 1 year ago.

one thing i would say is this is not a normal DIY repair as it will require at least basic refrigeration knowledge and special tools like a recovery machine vacuum pump, gauges. also you will need to get refrigerant which can only be sold to someone with an epa certification. an epa certification is also usually required to purchase anything for refrigeration like compressors but some places do sell them to anyone. both of the links i provided in my last response will sell to homeowners. next compressors are mostly universal based on the size. there is no differance between a heat pump compressor and a straight ac compressor. the only difference with a heat pump is a reversing valve and a defrost board. your existing compressor is a reciprocating compressor like the CR28K6e-pfv from copeland. the ZR28K5E-PFV is a scroll compressor which is taller and different piping for it. sometimes people like to upgrade to a scroll compressor because they are very reliable. but they may not fit in your condensing unit. you would have to measure it and make sure it will fit and then redo the piping to it. the CR28K6e-pfv will defiantly fit in your condensing unit but because you want to go with copeland instead of bristol there may be some modifications to the piping required. as far as the cross reference i just use the cross reference charts from copeland to determine the correct size compressor. also keep in mind you will need a new filter drier and capacitor and i always recommend putting in a new contactor too. also if it was a burnout compressor you will need to flush the system and install a burn drier and suction drier. now with all of that said you can see it is a very involved process and you are replacing 90% of the system. at that point i usually recommend replacing the whole system or a more cost efective option is to replace just the condensing unit. that would take the same amount of time and less work and cost just about the same maybe a little more but you get a new warranty and basically a new AC unit minus the indoor coil. but the decision is up to you entirely all i will say even with me being a tech and getting all the parts at wholesale price and having all the tools i would still just replace the condensing unit instead of just the compressor if it were in my house. let me know if you have any more questions. i will also offer you the option of accepting a live phone call if this would be easier for you to get more information and a better understanding.

Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 1 year ago.
Hi, did you have any more questions about this or does that answer it for you?