HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My name is ***** *****, I have a trane xb80 that has been

Customer Question
Hi, my name is *****...
Hi, my name is ***** *****, I have a trane xb80 that has been controlled by an old mechanical thermostat that just has 2 wires going to it. I have a new digital thermostat that requires a c wire. The unused wires in the furnace are just twisted around. Can I just connect the wires the new thermostat needs?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: So place the new wire coming from the furnace is spliced into the old thermostat wire. I would like to move the thermostat anyway, but am wondering if there are any cautions about splicing the new wire in.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — HVAC Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
3/21/2016
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 1 year ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

Yes, correct, you can just use one of the unused wires at the thermostat for your C wire. Connect one end to C at the stat and the other to a C or COM at the board of the furnace. If you can't find a C or COM at the furnace, a good ground will also work (at the furnace).

Let me know if you have additional questions. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any more questions.

Tim H.
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional