How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tim H. Your Own Question
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Category: HVAC
Satisfied Customers: 3971
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
Type Your HVAC Question Here...
Tim H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 1999 vintage Dacor SGB365 5 burner cooktop that

Customer Question

I have a 1999 vintage Dacor SGB365 5 burner cooktop that currently runs on LP. I'm converting my home to Nat Gas and would like to know if there is a burner orifice conversion kit available. I know that the regulator valve needs to be switched from LP to NAT but cannot find any info about changing the burner orifice's or available kits to make the switch. The model sticker on the cooktop list both NAT and LP specs.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need. Please be patient as many times we work with several customers at once.

Rich, there will probably not be any parts for this stove anymore, but if the BTU's are stamped on the stove for the individual burners, you should be able to figure it out as far as orifice size knowing the properties of natural gas. Then the orifices can be drilled out to the proper size.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTU's are marked on the cooktop for both LP and NAT. 8500, 12500 & 14000 BTU's. Are you able to calculate the orifice size that will be required for NAT or point me in the right direction to calculate the orifice size?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

At 3.5 inches water column, the 8500 orifice should be drilled with a #53 drill bit, the 12,500 orifice should be drilled out with a #50 drill bit and the 14,000 orifice with a #48 drill bit.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, thank you for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (Thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any more questions.

Related HVAC Questions