HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Rheem Criterion furnace. It will heat up and run at

Customer Question
I have a Rheem Criterion...
I have a Rheem Criterion furnace. It will heat up and run at full heat for 5-6 minutes, then shut down. Then, once complete, it will again start up, run for 5-6 minutes... It will do this until the house is up to temp. Have replaced the filter...
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Nope
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 1 year ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

I need the model number of your unit. It's on the rating tag inside the burner compartment

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
RGDG-15EARJR

Give me a few to pull the specs for your unit.

How long does it shut down before it starts up again?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
less than 1 min. Almost automatically after the blower has run for a bit to disperse the heat

Could be a bad connection possible a bad ground. One possible source of a bad connection is the thermostat or thermostat wiring. If you want to try some troubleshooting try jumping the R & W terminals on the thermostat terminal strip in the furnace.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
by jumping you mean run a wire between r and w?

Yes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Give me a moment. I should keep the wires connected to those intact, right?

You can leave the leads connected or not it doesn't matter. Also make sure you ave a good ground from the board to the junction box where the line voltage (ground) is connected to the unit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, have jumped the r and w. Restart?

Yes restart it. Be sure the blower door panel is properly in place or it won't run

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Starter blower turned on. We'll see how long it runs. Shouldn't it run until the house gets up to temp set at thermostat?

Yes it should run until the thermostat is satisfied

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, burners are running....we'll see how long...Started at 3:07

ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Curious. What does the jumping of R and W do?

Bypasses the thermostat and thermostat wiring

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how will it now when it reaches temp?

If it runs for longer than it did before (you said ~5 minutes) then we can assume a problem with the thermostat or stat wiring

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just shut off. 3:13

Ok so not the thermostat. It gets more difficult to diagnose from here. Let it run and watch the amber /yellow LED on the board. Does it flicker or go out when the burner drops out?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i only see two green

You have no yellow LED?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no just two green

Is one designated FLAME?

If so then that's the one to watch

If it's running then wait until it shuts down to check

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One is labled "OK" one is labeled "PWR"

There are 2 versions of this board according to my specs. The one that has OK & PWR also has FLAME. The one that has 2 LEDS is labeled OK & FLAME. Let's see what happens when it shuts down.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When it shuts down, then the lights go off after the blower turns off

Both lights go out?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when all is shut down

Do you have a multi-meter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry no. Perhaps it is time to get someone out to look at it. It does heat the house, just does the on/off thing so it takes a while

The PWR LED should not go out as long as there is power to the unit. So either the power is dropping out or you have a bad board.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I'll start there with the tech

You're welcome

I'd appreciate a favorable rating

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you have the board number in case I were to replace it?

Here's the parts list Attached.you need to refer to your serial number for the right one. Since I don't know the age of your unit I'll also upload the other list in a minute

Here's the other one

Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor