HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Just need to know how to charge a heat pump condenser. Just

Customer Question
Just need to know how...
Just need to know how to charge a heat pump condenser.
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Just need to know how to charge a carrier hrat pump unit.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: I have hvac knowledge
JA: Our top HVAC Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the HVAC Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the HVAC Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
3/14/2016
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, You will need a vacuum pump, set of refrigeration service gauges, and a refrigerant recovery unit to remove the existing refrigerant charge.

If you have those or wish to buy them we can go from there. In that case I will need a photo of the existing refrigerant line connections to the existing unit.... and the brand and model number of the unit your wish to install.

If you already have HVAC knowledge and that equipment involved and know how to use it, I can coach you for the amount you offered.

If you need extensive training on brazing, refrigerant recover, evacuation, and recharging, that will take a few hours time. I will submit an extra for that if you need that sort of premium service.

Let me know, we can go from there.

Use the paper clip icon at the right end of the tool bar to attach the picture, it needs to be a close up of where the copper tube attaches to the existing condensing unit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know how to braze, i guess im a little confused. Dont you charge by superheat and subcooling. This the way I was told.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
theres no charging method with subcooling and superbeat on this unit. This is what Im oaying for.

Hello again, charging a system is an art, the exact amount of refrigerant is critical. I can coach you on that, but it depends on which refrigerant exactly...and how much air flow there is over the coil inside the house, and what the inside and outside temperatures are at the time.

Charging by super heat and sub cooling alone can result in an over or under charge, an over charge will flood liquid refrigerant back to the compressor and cause a lot of damage.

An undercharge will result in icing the cooling coil and higher operating expenses. Its tricky business.

I am 75 years old, with 55 of those years in this business, the last 20 years of it consulting for major firms nationally... if you need a simpler answer then I am not the guy who can help you... what I can do is coach you live with pressure and temperature readings if you most of those skill sets.

Let me know if you would like me to opt out or not, so another of our experts here might be able to give you more of a rote type answer.

If you need a lot of such coaching as I provide however it will take a few more hours in some cases depending on your skills and equipment, and that sort of training when it goes into hours and hours is at a premium if I do it.

http://screencast.com/t/LBQd5jJC7IV

Let me know, we can go from there accordingly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How muchbisbthe premium?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How much is the premium?

Hello again, if you already know how to work a refrigerant recovery unit and have a recovery tank, and a vacuum pump and I will not have to spend more than half a day training on those issues. The premium is $45. If you need to be coached from scratch on the recovery that can take a while, it all depends on what your existing skills sets are... my might need very little training, or you might need two days.

Oooops "YOU might need very little training...."

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer