Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My furnace is making a crackling noise when it first turns

Customer Question

my furnace is making a crackling noise when it first turns on. It's fairly new, bought it within the last 5 years. I'm a single mom with 2 pound kids. Scared it's going to blow up or something!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell where the noise is coming from ? Does everything seem to be working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
furnace is working fine (very well, heats up my house quickly). Sounds is coming from the duct above the furnace.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I do not suspect it is something to panic over, but would have it checked out as soon as you can.Your furnace has several safety devices that will shut it down if there is any danger.

Without being there kind of hard for me t say what this is. If there is any way you could record a short video clip. I might recognize the sound.

Could be as simple as a loose vein , damper or something that is loose.