HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have old mercury thermostat that sparks and clicks and…

Customer Question
I have old mercury...

I have old mercury thermostat that sparks and clicks and turns on AC unit. I can hear him but no fan. The unit is in the roof crawl space with no access for me. Need s tech thin as rail to get up there. Ideas?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?

System was working fine thru November.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
3/11/2016
HVAC Technician: Gaztech, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Hello, You say you have no running fan indoors when you turn on AC??

HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

I got notice that Gaztech1 opted out... so I will pick up where he left off for now, lets see how it goes.

About how hold is the AC unit? If it is over 10 years the fan motor is likely bad, if it is not quite that old, it may just be that its $5 run capacitor is bad.

Tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city, I will look for a few well qualified and well rated HVAC outfits, then you can call them and describe the access and ask if they have tech good at getting into tight spaces.

Meantime poke your head and a camera up there as best you can and get me a few pictures, use the paper clip icon at the right end of the tool bar to attach them.

We can go from there.