HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Echelon 8.v furnace. In Nov 2015 the circuit board

Customer Question
I have a Coleman Echelon...
I have a Coleman Echelon 8.v furnace. In Nov 2015 the circuit board was replaced, it's been working fine since. However yesterday the heat stopped coming through (fan/blower working fine). There's a green light on and a red light blinking twice. I incidentally changed out the filter on the very day this problem started. Thx, Preston
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: It's prob a very straightforward fix, I appreciate you passing this on to a technician!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
3/10/2016
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello Preston, you many not refit the blower door properly so that the door switch has not closed... that is most likely the problem.

We can go from here without any time limits, however if that solves the problem, please rate my work, its how I earn a living and does not increase your charges.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll retry this, but I'm a big strong excollege linebacker, and I think I've got the door closed nice and tight! Also, I didn't have to remove the furnace door when I replaced the filter, which means that my furnace simply stopped blowing hot air all of the sudden, with no door openings since last November, P
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still the red blinking light (twice blinking)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've tried putting the furnace door back on another 2 times, each time it seems like a perfect fit, etc. still a green light with a red light blinking twice

Thanks, two red led flashes point to a stuck pressure switch, or a bad printed circuit card.

Locate the pressure switch on the wiring diagram then follow the wires to it on the furnace itself, its round item about the size of a hock puck, with two wires and two small rubber tubes attached. Remove one of the wires, then attempt to restart the furnace, it should fail to ignite....and produce a different error code. If it does that we can be pretty sure its switch is stuck closed and will do a few clean out procedures, if that fails we will replace the pressure switch.

If the error code does not change, then a bad printed circuit board is likely the problem.

Let me know what you can discover, we can go from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You lost me at "locate". I'm trying my best! P

Hello again, if you remove the front covers on the furnace and send me a picture that shows whats inside, taken from about 8 feet away I can point the pressure switch out to you.

Use the paper clip icon at the right end of the tool bar for that.

We can go from there.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Coleman-Furnace-Pressure-Switch/S132435972000/2332788?ss=a36b383&mr=0

If you do buy a new pressure switch, we will need to confirm with the vendor that it is for your exact model (full model number not just the '8.v'... the 8 to 12 digit model number.

http://screencast.com/t/6scfR3Fb2

A flash picture would be best, ***** ***** clear well focused close up of the wiring diagram glued inside the blower door will help, it needs to be well lit, and taken from straight on.

Thanks

http://screencast.com/t/2GgD53U1a

Do the 'remove wire' test I mentioned earlier and tell me if the error code changes. The item I circled earlier at the top of the furnace is almost certainly the pressure switch... it is a dual pressure switch, to accommodate the two stage gas valve installed.

Do not leave the furnace un-attended with the pressure switch wire on LP1 removed.. its a brief test only. The pressure switch is a key safety item on the furnace.

We can go from there.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer