Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I am a new home owner and the fan seems to run pretty !much

Customer Question

Hi I am a new home owner and the fan seems to run pretty !much constantly. How so I know if it has a problem?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The inside temperature is 68 degrees the heat setting is on 66 degrees. But the fan is still running when on heat
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: I have been setting the programmable thermostat and would like to reset it like a master reset
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the HVAC Technician responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need. Please be patient as many times we work with several customers at once.

What is the make and FULL MODEL NUMBER of the furnace? What position do you have the fan switch at the thermostat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CA16NA030-AThe fan switch is on auto
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

That is your outdoor unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cnpvp3017alaaaaaGod I'm glad you don't know me. :/
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Which fan is running constantly, indoor or outdoor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fair question. But it was the in door.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

By the way, that last model number you gave me is for your COIL? See here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Learning a lot from you Tim. Model # ***** the unit reads 36j52-510
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

That's your gas valve. See here. Still not the furnace model I need.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW the unit has finally stopped blowing. OK. Let's try 59sc2c & 59sc2b080s171216
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

When this happens are you in heating mode or cooling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heating
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Next time it happens, go down and check for a flash code in the lower door. The furnace may be going out on a flash code error.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you break that down as if you are talking to a 5 yr old. I will not be offended. I assume you mean the lower door of the furnace but don't know where to look on it for code
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

On page 82 of this document, these are the error codes you will be looking for.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

There will be a series of short flashes followed by a pause and then so many long flashes.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Should be a small window through which you can see these codes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the furnace itself?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes on the Carrier and Bryant furnaces, you need to take the bottom panel off and then there will be a second panel with a small window.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

This flash code will ONLY HAPPEN when furnace shuts down (burners go off) on an error code. It will not happen during normal operation.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Wait until the next time this happens and let me know. Question will remain open, so don't worry if it does not happen right away.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I have to step out for a bit, but will check back a bit later.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Anything yet?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have all the information you need here? Please let me know so that if you do, we can close question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fan continued to run Wed night and Thurs. Third I discovered in the manual how to slow down the speed of the fan. With the therm set on auto/hea, I followed those instructions I set therm on 62 and it was 66 in the house, it would shut off automatically. I then changed the temp to 66 and does shut off for a short period of time but the fan runs much more frequently than any unit I have been around.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Is the fan running without the burners on for extended periods?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe that to be the case prior to changing the speed of the fan. I had the temp on 66 through the night and had to,leave for work early, so I am uncertain. I will get back to the house around 9 pm, tonight so will not be able to verify that until then.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

That is what I need to know. After the burners shut down, fan should run maybe a maximum of 2 minutes, then shut down.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Did you need further assistance with this? If not, thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any more questions.