Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My ducane gas furnace stopped working. When I turn it on at

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, my ducane gas furnace stopped working. When I turn it on at the thermostat, I can hear kick in and a few seconds later the burners start up only to last a few seconds then it shuts off. It does three times then it shuts off completely. I googled troubleshooting gas furnace before calling a professional and found out that 90% of the time it is the flame sensor that is dirty. When ahead and cleaned it with the finest steel wool always making sure not to touch the metal inspecting it for cracks in the porcelain, everything looked fine. Put it back together, sarted it up and it worked fine. Thought, "problem solved" only to find out that when I shut it off and turned back on it w as having the same problem as before, cycling 3 times and shutting off altogether. I checked the electrical panel and noticed a green light flashing rather rapidly, read the codes and said "Call for heat" when the light flashes in this sequence. I don't want to mess with it any further cause I'm afraid to cause a bigger problem.
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Yes, before it started acting up, I canged the air filter wich was super filthy and hadn't been changed for a long time. The furnace stopped working right after I installed the new one....Just wondering if that has anything to do with the problem?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the HVAC Technician responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

if you watch the flame at the beginning, does it reach the sensor in 3 seconds or less or does the flame come up a bit short?

And was it the metal rod you cleaned with steel wool?