HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

When replacing an old air handler located inside an apt., do…

Customer Question
When replacing an old air...
When replacing an old air handler located inside an apt., do current codes re water pan and secondary safeguard like elect. cut-off need to be followed?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
3/7/2016
HVAC Technician: Kcrand36, HVAC Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Kcrand36
Kcrand36, HVAC Mechanic

Good Afternoon, I am kevin one of the tech's here on JA......

Do you have problems with your installation or are you just checking on if you need to follow the current codes?

I am in FL and I am planning to replace my air handler. There is no overflow pan and float shut off now and I want to know if I am required by code to provide pan and shut-off for the replacement.

ok, unfortuantely, I cannot answer that question as I am from CT. There is no code in CT requiring an overflow pan or shut off, however if your a contractor and do not install it, you would be living on "thin ice"...... a simple not changing the filter could cause more damage to the home than a simple up front cost of placing an overflow pan. A "overflow switch" if that is what you are referring to is very inexpensive, I would imagine the two of them together would not be over $100. Hope this helps you out. If you are doing the work yourself....... Spend the money up front.... you will save yourself lot's of headaches and maybe even repair expenses far beyond just damage it could do to the home....