HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We put in a York heat pump 5 years ago. The old heat pump…

Customer Question
We put in a York...
We put in a York heat pump 5 years ago. The old heat pump was a GE and at the register closest to the furnace the GE put out 95 degree air. The York heat pump runs constantly even when outside temp is 40 degrees and thermostat set to 70 degrees and register only shows 80 degree air unless aux. heat is on.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
3/6/2016
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 2 years ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

There are several possibilities here. The new heat pump could be undersized for the area it is serving. Or it could be low on charge.

Our old heat pump had a 3 ton condensing unit and a 3 ton air handler. The new one has a 3.5 ton condensing unit and a 5 ton air handler (can be either 4 or 5, but is set up as a 4 ton). Air handler has varible speed fan.

Not sure why they put a 5 ton air handler with a 3.5 ton condenser. This is not normal practice. Are you sure your installing tech set the air speed on the air handler for 3.5 ton?

Condensing unit was checked and freon level was normal.

I'd say your tech has missed something. There should be hotter air than that coming out.

Air speed was set right for unit.

If you are using the same company that installed this to service it, makes me wonder. I would never put a 5 ton air handler with a 3.5 ton condenser. Oversized and could run the air past the coil so quickly it won't pick up any heat.