HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a weil mclain oil fired hotwater boiler with 2 zones.

Customer Question
the upstairs zone will not...
I have a weil mclain oil fired hotwater boiler with 2 zones. the upstairs zone will not shut off even with the thermostat down I switched thermostats witch are new with no result. any suggestions? my name is*****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/6/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Hi Glenn,
What do you have for zone control? zone valves? if so what brand? or do you have 2 pumps/circulators? if so what is the brand and model of the relay that controls the upstairs zone pump?

2 grundfoss zone circulators probably 8 months old

Ok, is the pump for the upstairs running? If you can't tell put a screwdriver handle to your ear and the tip on the pump. If it's running you should be able to hear it spinning. I also need the relay brand and model that controls that pump if it's running.

the circulator pump runs when thermostat is off but not all the time its hot so I can tell water is going through The relay is Taco sr 501

Ok, is it running now with a thermostat that's turned off? if so then disconnect the thermostat leads (T & T / R & W) on the relay and see if the pump shuts off. If it's not running now then do this when the pump runs when it shouldn't. If the pump stops when you disconnect the leads at the relay then reconnect the leads and go to the thermostat and disconnect the leads on R & W. If the pump continues to run you have a live short in the thermostat wiring between the relay and the stat. If the pump shuts off when you disconnect the thermostat then the thermostat is faulty.

thanks Rick I am waiting to try this when the circulator runs when it shoudnt
Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor