HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I cannot get my pilot light to stay lit on my gas furnace.

Customer Question
When I hold the pilot...
I cannot get my pilot light to stay lit on my gas furnace. When I hold the pilot switch on it will stay lit and the pilot flame looks good. Not weak or yellow but strong and blue. The second I let off it of course goes out. I cleaned the tip of the thermocouple and I have metered over 30 mv on it while holding the pilot switch on so I believe the thermocouple to be good. My next thought would be that I am dealing with a defective gas valve. It is a model 36c53. However, Before I go out and buy another one I would like to no what else if anything I should be checking first?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
3/5/2016
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 2 years ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am APPLIANCE-HVAC GURU a very experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money.

Lastly the only way to credit me "APPLIANCE-HVAC GURU" is to STAR RATE my post......NOT another TECHS when we are finished otherwise I will receive no credit.....Thank you!

Well you really need a load thermocouple tester as a open thermocouple when checked with no load often read withing range.....or just spend 10 bucks and swap it out. If it does not solve the issue replace the valve, that really is about the only test you can do.

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR using the 5 STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU