HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My furnace ignites of minutes and then shuts off, i just…

Customer Question
My furnace ignites for...

My furnace ignites for couple of minutes and then shuts off

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I just cleaned the flame sensor havent replaced it though and also when the furnace shuts off, i see 4 flashing lights and after 10 mins, the furnace switches on and then remain ignited for couple of minutes and then shuts off again and then I see 4 led blinking lights

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
are you there
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/3/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

What is the brand and model number of your furnace? A phone call is an additional charge

I believe it is goodman manufacturing

Ok, I still need the model number.

let me go take a look

Ok

U-42
the part number is *****

That's not a Goodman model number. But I have an idea what the problem probably is based on your description. A 4 flash error is an open limit circuit error which means the unit is shutting down because it's over heating. This can be due to a dirty filter or possibly a clogged AC coil if you have AC. Could also happen if the vents/registers in the house are blocked

I replaced a new filter last night and also none of the vents and registers are blocked.
Also, will the burners ignite due to open limit error ?

Yes, you said the burners go out then come back on after 10 minutes (after the unit has cooled down and the limit closes). A 4 flash error is an open limit error. Do you have AC?

I have AC, we havent turned on the AC since 6 months and it is winter here.

That doesn't matter. The air from your furnace flows through the AC coil even in heat mode. If you have a typical up flow furnace the AC coil is on top of the furnace.

Also , the burners remain stay on only for couple of minutes only. Also I saw low battery indicator in the thermostat. I replaced the batteries too.

I don't know how else to say it. A 4 flash error is an open limit error. The furnace will overheat if there isn't adequate airflow through the furnace. If the AC coil is clogged you won't have adequate air flow. The fact that it comes back on after it cools down confirms this as the problem.

what are the things that I could try now

You need to check the AC coil to see if it's clogged

is the draft induced motor and blower fan two different things. when I set the heat to off and fan to ON on my thermostat , I dont hear any sound near the furnace.not fan or blower runs. But, when I set the Heat to ON, i hear noise from the Draft induced motor.

The draft inducer is the small fan on the front. It only creates the draft. If the main blower isn't running to circulate the heat through the house then that's the reason you're getting an open limit error. So you could have a bad blower motor or possibly a bad start capacitor for that motor

I'm logging off for the night. I'd appreciate a favorable rating. If you have more questions I'll respond in the morning. I'll answer related follow ups after you rate me favorably