HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Olsen gas furnace stopped working the red flashing light is…

Customer Question
Olsen gas furnace stopped working...
Olsen gas furnace stopped working the red flashing light is blinking 4 times error code says it stuck on high limit what would be the cause?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
3/3/2016
HVAC Technician: Kcrand36, HVAC Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Kcrand36
Kcrand36, HVAC Mechanic

Good morning Robert, I am Kevin...... You have an error code of a high limit open?

What would cause this and what can I do to correct it

I cannot find your model online yet, but let me ask you a few questions, maybe you can check them.

Is the filter clean?

Are there any other filters in the system? (ie... prefilters before a electronic air cleaner)

Is the furnace belt driven? ( requires belt on blower wheel to move air)

Filter appears to be clean no belts on blower motor direct drive and no prefilters

do you have air conditioning?

No A/C

ok, still having problems with finding your model number on the furnace....... However, based on what the furnace is telling us.... the high limit is open. so......

Does the blower motor operate when the thermostat is placed in the "FAN ON" position?

blowers are both going
I just tapped the the controller box model 50A50 and error code went away and furnace started working WoW!

ok, when you say both you are talking about the small motor in upper part of the furnace called the "draft, inducer or combustion" motor? and the other that moves the air to circulate through the house as the "blower motor"

That is your ignition module, there should be some more numbers to it, do you have those as well, as there are many different variety's for different applications.........

White Rodgers Emerson electric model 50A50-216

It looks "as usual" that control is outdated, but now has a "NEW IMPROVED MODULE"....... Is your furnace still operating?

It went back into alarm! I unplugged the module It cleared the fault again and started will see how long it will work
Still working I will look at ordering a new module

The board could be ok, we could actually going into error, which means that your "limit switch" is defective or is doing it's job and we have a different issue...... How old is the furnace?

can you take a picture of the inside of your furnace showing the burners, any wires feeding something inside the furnace or attached or near the burners? A picture of your wiring diagram inside the cover of the compartment that the module was in may help as well. You can post them here using the paper clip icon...

Not sure how old I found a sticker on it and say 1995 it shutdown and started again
Ok will take a few pictures
Let me know if you received the pictures can't find wiring diagram

ok, at least one of the high limits is to the left of the module, I believe there are 2 grey wires going to it. I also see some wires going into collection box down at the bottom where there is a visual glass for the the flame , there may be rollout switch's or high limits in there as well.

you may want to try to remove the plug on the furnace control module (located in upper right corner of that module) and re seat it. Also, re seat the wires feeding the high limit to the left of the module.

On another question, do you have a multimeter, volt or ohm?

Ok did everything no unfortunately I don't have a multimeter, looks like furnace went thru its normal cycle ran until it shutdown I am now waiting for it to start back up
Should I order a new module?

is it starting by itself after a period of time?

or are you tapping on the control module every time to get it started?

it jus did one full operating cycle like it would normally do

except it shut down before reaching temperature in the house?

i just cycled it it with thermostat a few times and it stated and stopped like normal
Thanks for all the help it was greatly appreciated Have a good day!!

so it seems to be working ok?

if you have any more issues, please feel free to contact me here......