HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My thermostat received a small static electric shock. It…

Customer Question
Hello - my thermostat received...
Hello - my thermostat received a small static electric shock. It stopped working, and the troubleshooting guides said to take the batteries out for 15 minutes, replace with new ones and hit reset. I did all of that and every single one of the lights on the screen are lit up and the buttons will not work to change anything. Any advice?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/3/2016
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

If thermostat took a spike you may have to replace.

There is one trick I have seen work to reset these digital thermostats that works sometimes. That is to remove batteries and install them backwards for 5 seconds, Then remove and install properly,If this does not reset the little computer board in the thermostat you will need to replace the thermostat.

Note: Occasionally , this will not work and will even cause thermostat to start smoking.If so simply remove batteries.If thermostat is not working already, it is worthless anyway, so no harm done .I have seen it work about 20 per cent of the time. So if that is something you are comfortable doing would try it.Could save you having to buy another thermostat.Otherwise, just go ahead and replace it.