HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My American Standard heating/cooling unit works, the blower…

Customer Question
My American Standard heating/cooling...

My American Standard heating/cooling unit works, the blower works, new thermostat that works correctly, but it no longer cools my home. Does the unit need Freon?

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Its only 6 years old, and worked great for the last 10 months - both for cooling and heating.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
3/2/2016
HVAC Technician: Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

It's a process to determine if your system is low on refrigerant. There are many factors involved. There are many other things that can mask themselves as a refrigerant issue too. The fact that it cooled fine last season doesn't really lend itself to a refrigerant issue either. Refrigerant leak can't be ruled out either though. If your duct developed some serious leakage, it could look like your system is low on gas or if the evaporator (cooling) or outdoor coil has gotten dirty over the years, it could look like a refrig. problem too. It's important to take some temperature and pressure readings and that will point an experienced tech to the root of the issue. Even a compressor that is getting hard to start can look like a refrig. issue even though the system appears to be running normally. The quickest seat-of-the-pants test is to feel the temperature of the larger of the copper lines right where it goes into the outdoor unit after the system has been running for at least a few minutes. That line should be beer-can cold. If it's warm or too cold, then there's an issue with either airflow or refrigerant.

Let me know if you have further questions on this subject. Reply back for clarification or to continue. Otherwise, If I have answered your question to your satisfaction, please remember to rate before leaving (3 stars or higher please!). Bonuses are always appreciated! Thanks for allowing me to help and thanks for using Just Answer!

Thank you,
Brian

Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician