HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I ran out of oil and need to bleed my older oil pump/furnace…

Customer Question
I ran out of oil...
I ran out of oil and need to bleed my older oil pump/furnace now that I've had oil delivered. I do not see a bleeder valve as described in most of the instructions online. How can I bleed the furnace without one?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
3/2/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

I need a picture of the fuel pump on the side of the burner (where the oil line connects). You can post a picture here by clicking on ADD Files next to the SEND button

Can you back out and give me a wider shot showing the whole burner?

Great, the last shot is what I needed. Disconnect the flared nut where that tubing connects to the side of the burner. Then bend the tubing so you can direct the oil flow into a container. Then turn the burner on (hit the reset button) and let it run until you get no more air/bubbles. Once the air stops turn the burner off (if it hasn't locked out already) then reconnect the line and turn the burner back on (hit reset again)

Ok, I have to go get a wrench that fits that flared nut. I tried to use pliers, but that didn't work very well and It seems like a better idea to have the right tool. Also, as a clarification, if the burner doesn't shut off by itself and the air/bubbles are done, do I shut it off with the switch (looks like a light switch) or the reset button? My guess is the switch, but I want to be sure. Thanks!

You're welcome. The switch is best to turn it off if you have to.

Be careful to not kink the tubing when you bend it. It's not likely but a possibility

I'd appreciate a favorable rating

I also bought a piece of tubing so I only have to connect that to the copper tube so I won't have to move it too much. Unfortunately, I can't get the flared nut to budge. Could I use something like WD40 or just more brute force? I'm trying to turn it to the left if you are facing the burner.

You turn it counterclockwise as you face the side of the burner. It shouldn't be that difficult to get off. WD40 won't help, it's not corroded.

I think I am just having trouble because the spot it a bit tight and the wrench is fairly short so there isn't great leverage. I'll try again with more courage!

OK

I think you are going to earn your money today. I got the nut loose, attached my tube and hit the reset and nothing came out. I tried again in case it needed more time. I've attached a picture. I hope the line isn't clogged, but this has happened before and I've had a technician out and he's been able to get it going. Thoughts?

Well given the age of this burner I'd say a clogged line is a high probability given that you ran out of oil. Probably clogged at the tank. Turn off the valve at the tank then disconnect the line at the filter outlet then turn the valve back on and see if you have any flow

Well, that nut is an entirely different size and too big for the adjustable wrench that I bought to fit the other one, so I'm stuck again. I've run out of oil before, fairly recently even, and not had a clog. If there is a clog in the line, can I fix that or will I need someone to come out?

If the line is clogged it will have to be blown out. If you have an air compressor you could give it a go but if you don't even have the right wrench to disconnect the line I doubt you'll be able to adapt your compressor to the oil line. You probably need to call a pro