HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We had previously had radiant heaters and were quite happy…

Customer Question
We had previously had radiant...
We had previously had radiant heaters and were quite happy with that style of heater and in our new house, decided on a Reznow due to the 900 sq ft size.
Over the past two years we have had black soot stains all over the walls that require washing every spring and even our Steel insulated door is black near the seal, and this staining will not come off, even with numerous industrial cleaners.
We talked to our Heating guy and they were going to warranty the Heat Exchanger because this was thought to be the cause, then they came back to us and said that another Heating Co had told them they had several of the same complaints and the heaters were found not to have enough combustion air.
I find this to be very hard top believe to the leaks around our overhead doors, as well as the fact that the Garage is litteraly flushed 2-3xs/ Day when the Overhead doors are opened. They have suggested a 2" pipe from outside, and brought in to near the burner.
I am currently looking for some advice/suggestions because now we have to wash our entire ceiling
Thanks,
Cam
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
3/1/2016
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The only other cause for a gas fired unit to create soot besides inadequate combustion air is burners that aren't properly adjusted. It doesn't matter how many time you open the overhead doors (unless you leave then open). If you can tell me the BTU input of the heater I can tell you the indoor volume of air required for combustion air taken entirely from indoors.