HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I'm ***** *****, and I seem to have an issue with my air…

Customer Question
I'm ***** *****, and...

I'm ***** *****, and I seem to have an issue with my air handler... For the second time this month, the blower seems to have stopped working...

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Last time it happened, it had been a few months since I last cleaned the filter. After I cleaned it, the air flow was back to normal. But this time, it has only been 2 weeks since I cleaned it, so I cleaned it again, and for some reason, it still won't work. To make it clear, when I turn off and the on the breakers on the machine, the air flow start working, and after a few seconds, it stops and won't turn back on. (The blower is set to run continuously...)

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/29/2016
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, tell me the brand name that goes with that model number please, and about how hold the system is.

I need to know if the blower is inside the house or outside.

You will likely need a clamp around amp meter to do the diagnosis...$30 at harbor freight, and $50 at most of the big box electrical stores.

We can go from there.

I will be off to bed in half an hour or so, if I miss you tonight I will pick your response up in the morning.

It will help if you can include a clear, close up, well focused and well lit photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower compartment access door. Use the paper clip icon to attach it here.

Thanks, ***** ***** guess I'd have to pay someone to come over here then. It's 10:56pm and the shops are closed... That, and my pipes will burst if I don't do anything... I guess you'll just have to keep my deposit
I can't just talk, I don't have the equipment you say I need and can't buy it....

Hello again, all night drug stores often carry portable electric heaters that can prevent some or all of the pipe freezing

Look, thanks, ***** ***** find something else. sorry to have taken your time with this

There are dozens of ways I can help, we can try this without the use of an electric meter, but I do need to know the brand goes with the model number.

This is not the sort of thing that you can get working again tonight, and you will need to be handy with appliances if you want to attempt a fix tomorrow

For some obscure reason, after an hour, it started working... Guess I'll call the guys who installed it 2 years ago and ask for a maintenance, since the bill my girlfriend found says it's a 5 years waranty

The unit is most likely tripping one of its limit switches, and by turning the power on and off to it you are executing what we call a 'soft reset'... the sensor that is tripping could be going bad or there could be something causing it to trip... there are dozens of reasons why.

The warranties generally do not cover very much of the repair costs after 5 years. Sometimes they can be worthless, feel free to let me know what the maintenance people tell you.. I can coach you from there as needed.

If you will kindly rate my advice when we are done, I will appreciate it, rating does not increase your charges.

.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer