HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

M Oglesby Have a 1999 Trane XE90. The blower is not working.

Customer Question
Hi M Oglesby Have a 1999...
Hi M Oglesby
Have a 1999 Trane XE90. The blower is not working. It is flashing slowly.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/28/2016
HVAC Technician: Kcrand36, HVAC Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Kcrand36
Kcrand36, HVAC Mechanic

Hi Sam, I am Kevin, one of the Tech's here on JA.

Kevin,Thoughts on issues with blower on Trane XE90

yes,, you have tried on the stat to put the fan switch in "on" position..... and still no fan correct?

that is correct

ok, can you get the model number off the name plate of the furnace so I can pull up a diagram of your particular furnace? You can find this inside the burner compartment usually..... XE90 is the series, not necessarily the model number.

TXCZ043C4HPC0.

I'm not coming up with anything with that number

How old is the furnace?

1999
TXC043C4HPC0.

ok, I would assume that you do not have an ECM motor in there at this point. Have you checked to see if the blower wheels spins freely?

blower wheel spins freely

did you notice any heat coming from the motor? Is the motor hot?

It is room temperature as it has been off for past hour

I would guess that if it is only off for an hour it will still be hot. is their a wiring diagram on the inside blower cover? Can you take a picture of that and post it here using the paper clip icon?

Motor and blower are cold. Gas fired area is still hot.

yes, give me just a few minutes

ok, great, do you have a volt meter and know how to use it?

no. dont have a volt meter.

I would suspect two different things, Either defective circuit board, or defective motor.

Leads on motor that attach to circuit board from Motor colors White and Black should =120V with fan switch in on position and door switch to furnace closed. If you do not have 120v to those two leads, your board is defective.

Leads on motor that attach to circuit board from motor one color is white, the other wire connects to circuit board, left top labeled HEAT-H on a call for heat, after 30-90 seconds into the cycle should have 120V. No voltage= defective board.

If you do have voltage to the motor, (120v), then I would try to replace the capacitor first. You can test that, but be careful, capacitors hold voltage, remove the wires from the capacitor with insulated pliers, short the two terminals using a screwdriver or pliers, then with your volt meter set for ohms you should go from 1000 ohms to 0 rather quickly...... if you see that, capacitor is ok, if it does not move at all on the meter, try replacing the capacitor. (usually though, a motor will be hot from trying to start)

Then lastly, the motor itself can be "ohmed" out. power off to the furnace remove the white and black leads from board, meter set for ohms, is there any continuity or resistance? If none, your motor is defective and has burnt out a winding.

I will check this within 2 hours. Will you be available to guide further?Are capacitor, board or motor available locally like Baltimore?

the capacitor you may find at like a home depot or lowes, not really sure, the board would have to be purchased from a Trane dealer $$$, possibly the motor as well. do to the age of the furnace though, you may be able to take the motor out to a local HVAC supply house and find an "after market" that will fit in there....

I will be available today just send me a message here, we will leave this open........

If you are purchasing a volt meter at home depot or lowes, take a few minutes and do some "you tube" videos on how to read and so on, so that you are somewhat familiar......

I just searched on Home depots website, they do sell, but only online, not in stores (capacitor), they also sell blower motors, again not in the stores but online.

your white is your common, and your blue is on the "cool" mode. So check the Blue and White wires for continuity.....

If you don't get continuity, check the black that is on park and white...... Let me know how you make out.

I believe the white you should be checking is the white on your second pic, labeled Circ-N, just verify, it should go right to the blower motor.

Checking all wires coming from the blower motor to common Circ-N white, all show OL. Please note, all power was off to the system.

sounds to me like your blower motor is bad......

and you verified that you have 120V on the Cool-H lead and Cir-N with the fan switch in "On" position and door switch depressed on furnace panel?

Kevin,
I ended up calling the repairman as it was a board issue. Please guide me on the following: what is the lowest cost method of getting a new furnace in future. Would you recommend getting one online and getting someone to install it?Thank you,