Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

M Oglesby Have a 1999 Trane XE90. The blower is not working.

Customer Question

Hi M Oglesby
Have a 1999 Trane XE90. The blower is not working. It is flashing slowly.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sam, I am Kevin, one of the Tech's here on JA.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kevin,Thoughts on issues with blower on Trane XE90
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

yes,, you have tried on the stat to put the fan switch in "on" position..... and still no fan correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is correct
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

ok, can you get the model number off the name plate of the furnace so I can pull up a diagram of your particular furnace? You can find this inside the burner compartment usually..... XE90 is the series, not necessarily the model number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TXCZ043C4HPC0.
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

I'm not coming up with anything with that number

How old is the furnace?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1999
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TXC043C4HPC0.
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

ok, I would assume that you do not have an ECM motor in there at this point. Have you checked to see if the blower wheels spins freely?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
blower wheel spins freely
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

did you notice any heat coming from the motor? Is the motor hot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is room temperature as it has been off for past hour
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

I would guess that if it is only off for an hour it will still be hot. is their a wiring diagram on the inside blower cover? Can you take a picture of that and post it here using the paper clip icon?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See wiring diagram
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Motor and blower are cold. Gas fired area is still hot.
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

yes, give me just a few minutes

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

ok, great, do you have a volt meter and know how to use it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. dont have a volt meter.
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

I would suspect two different things, Either defective circuit board, or defective motor.

Leads on motor that attach to circuit board from Motor colors White and Black should =120V with fan switch in on position and door switch to furnace closed. If you do not have 120v to those two leads, your board is defective.

Leads on motor that attach to circuit board from motor one color is white, the other wire connects to circuit board, left top labeled HEAT-H on a call for heat, after 30-90 seconds into the cycle should have 120V. No voltage= defective board.

If you do have voltage to the motor, (120v), then I would try to replace the capacitor first. You can test that, but be careful, capacitors hold voltage, remove the wires from the capacitor with insulated pliers, short the two terminals using a screwdriver or pliers, then with your volt meter set for ohms you should go from 1000 ohms to 0 rather quickly...... if you see that, capacitor is ok, if it does not move at all on the meter, try replacing the capacitor. (usually though, a motor will be hot from trying to start)

Then lastly, the motor itself can be "ohmed" out. power off to the furnace remove the white and black leads from board, meter set for ohms, is there any continuity or resistance? If none, your motor is defective and has burnt out a winding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check this within 2 hours. Will you be available to guide further?Are capacitor, board or motor available locally like Baltimore?
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

the capacitor you may find at like a home depot or lowes, not really sure, the board would have to be purchased from a Trane dealer $$$, possibly the motor as well. do to the age of the furnace though, you may be able to take the motor out to a local HVAC supply house and find an "after market" that will fit in there....

I will be available today just send me a message here, we will leave this open........

If you are purchasing a volt meter at home depot or lowes, take a few minutes and do some "you tube" videos on how to read and so on, so that you are somewhat familiar......

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

I just searched on Home depots website, they do sell, but only online, not in stores (capacitor), they also sell blower motors, again not in the stores but online.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The board is okay. Have not checked capacitor based on your comment about motor not being hot.Want to check the motor for winding issue. What are the leads named? As you can see from photo, I have detached the black from connector called Park. Is the white on the side?
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

your white is your common, and your blue is on the "cool" mode. So check the Blue and White wires for continuity.....

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

If you don't get continuity, check the black that is on park and white...... Let me know how you make out.

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

I believe the white you should be checking is the white on your second pic, labeled Circ-N, just verify, it should go right to the blower motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checking all wires coming from the blower motor to common Circ-N white, all show OL. Please note, all power was off to the system.
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

sounds to me like your blower motor is bad......

and you verified that you have 120V on the Cool-H lead and Cir-N with the fan switch in "On" position and door switch depressed on furnace panel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kevin,
I ended up calling the repairman as it was a board issue. Please guide me on the following: what is the lowest cost method of getting a new furnace in future. Would you recommend getting one online and getting someone to install it?Thank you,